IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anyone using Lightroom on iOS? - Do not start 5.4.0
https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/21/adobe_lightroom_data_wipe/

It will eat your photos and presets. Permanently.

We are aware that some customers who updated to Lightroom 5.4.0 on iPhone and iPad may be missing photos and presets that were not synced to the Lightroom cloud.

A new version of Lightroom mobile (5.4.1) for iOS and iPadOS has now been released that prevents this issue from affecting additional customers.

Installing version 5.4.1 will not restore missing photos or presets for customers affected by the problem introduced in 5.4.0.

We know that some customers have photos and presets that are not recoverable. We sincerely apologize to any customers who have been affected by this issue.
New No, because it's awful :D
Mobile Photoshop is nifty af, but mobile LR is just nasty. So is the "new" Lightroom, which is all cloud and shit, with the emphasis on "shit".

Wise people use LR Classic on the desktop (which, in recent releases, just seems to have become MUCH more performant - finally exercising the fancy-pants GPU I've got, for example) because it's much nicer, notwithstanding its pants-on-head approach to catalogue upgrades (you get a new catalogue every time a new version comes out - not a massive issue if you just have one catalogue, but I have about ten).

ETA: The ridiculous approach to catalogue upgrades, for the no people who are interested:

1. You have LR v1.0, and a catalogue called, say, "Record Shots.lrcat"
  2. You upgrade to LR v2.0. Your catalogue needs to be upgraded. LR does this, and now you have two catalogue files: "Record Shots.lrcat" (v1.0) and "Record Shots-2.lrcat" (v2.0)
  3. This goes on and on, for each catalogue that you have. So if you thought you'd be Mr P Whysall Esq., Organised Photographer Extraordinaire, and have a link to your catalogue files on your desktop (e.g. here's your record shots, here's that client, here's this event, etc.), well. Adobe would like you to know that you can go fuck yourself, and also that you can inadvertently upgrade the same old catalogue file multiple times ("Record Shots-3.lrcat", etc; no check is made whether you have already upgraded this catalogue), leading to situations where you need to do some extraordinary farting about to merge changes from multiple instances of catalogue files, made even more fucktastically difficult by the fact that Lightroom absolutely will not open more than one catalogue file at a time, and running multiple instances of Lightroom can generate behaviour charitably described as "undefined".
  4. One reason this is so obnoxious is that in the same directory as the .lrcat file, Lightroom creates a bunch of other files and directories, and they're not pretty.
  5. Also there are strong reasons to work with separate catalogues, to do with presets and stuff you might want to do to all images in the catalogue, such as metadata wankery.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Aug. 21, 2020, 09:56:31 AM EDT
New The infrastructure guys aren't talking to the usability guys
And all the actual users of the software are on the usability team.
--

Drew
New Is this guy right?
https://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=17013741&cid=60424113
The fatal flaw that makes iCloud nearly useless as a backup solution is that it does not keep prior backups. As soon as you make a new backup, your old one is gone. And your phone is backing itself up to iCloud daily, in a manner that is outside the user's control. What this means is that as soon as something goes wrong, you have to IMMEDIATELY stop everything you're doing and wipe your device and restore the whole device from the last backup, or your data is GONE.

Much more detail at the link.
--

Drew
New unHoly S(ch)it..
(I drop in here, beyond my Pay-grade because so much of this stuff seems to be more about an ensuing
Sociology FUBAR) than re the insanely-great er, Craft gone awry..

Wouldn't a eraser-bomb of this MTonnage lead immediately to n-Legal demands, with many-$000s per each?
/possibly even a Class Action?
In this case: what Timing! amidst all the other Disaster clusterfucks.
(And the linked IOS material gives a warm/fuzzy feeling that I'm off that particular railroad to The Cassandra Crossing).. at least for now.

Jeez.. maybe it Is Armageddon out there.
(May I steal The infrastructure guys aren't talking to the usability guys, in another venue?) or even just Politics. ;^>
New It's not stealing if you ask
And what if I say "No"?
--

Drew
New ..then no more cokes for You.
New Re: Is this guy right?
Oh, man. He was doing so well. I'm assuming he's correct on the iCloud stuff, mainly because I have no reason to think otherwise, and then he drops this neckbeard-bomb:
Either way, Apple completely screwed up the backup story on iOS to the point that no non-jailbroken iOS device can ever POSSIBLY be considered a serious tool for anything other than media consumption. It is absolutely NOT suitable for professional use as a content creation tool, because the backup story is a complete joke. So although I may mock Adobe for their poor quality control, I have to really wonder why anyone would trust an iOS device as their only copy of anything.

That'll be page one news to the millions of people who do professional content creation on iOS devices all day, every day.
New Lots of people do lots of things they shouldn't, doesn't make it a good idea
If, in general, you agree that a "professional" does backups, why does iOS get a pass? Is the answer is that no one does backups, so we can't really call that a necessary party of the definition?
--

Drew
New I found amusing...
...the notion that some neckbeard on Slashdot (among the neckbeardiest of neckbeard sites) feels qualified to prognosticate on what is and is not a suitable platform for content creation, in spite of the evidence.

iOS backup is and always has been for whole-device recovery, full stop; there's no way, for example, to just recover your files, or just your apps, or just your settings.

iCloud has never been sold as a backup solution at all, at least as far as I'm aware. It's no different to OneDrive or Google Drive or DropBox or whatever. Well, it's different in that it has a much more annoying Windows client than the other options :D

I think most people don't do backups, over and above having a copy of their shee on one of the services above. Forex, I use OneDrive, but that's just synced cloud storage, not a backup system. I used to use CrashPlan for a proper online backup, but CP decided to fuck all their personal users a couple or three years ago.

I think most professionals - i.e. people whose living depends on it - do do backups, and they don't depend on iOS device backups for it.
     Anyone using Lightroom on iOS? - Do not start 5.4.0 - (scoenye) - (9)
         No, because it's awful :D - (pwhysall) - (8)
             The infrastructure guys aren't talking to the usability guys - (drook)
             Is this guy right? - (drook) - (6)
                 unHoly S(ch)it.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     It's not stealing if you ask - (drook) - (1)
                         ..then no more cokes for You. -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: Is this guy right? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Lots of people do lots of things they shouldn't, doesn't make it a good idea - (drook) - (1)
                         I found amusing... - (pwhysall)

Close to the edge.
89 ms