IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ummm. no...
For every machine you fix by doing that I can show you 2 or more that break by doing that.

Not only that, if you use hardware that were not manufactured in the same era (i.e. ISA Multi-serial port card in an Athlon system)... they HAVE to be screwed with.

Or a Pentium 200MHz with an GeForce4600... things just do not work.

Now, I also have friend that had an ASUS A7V266 that just wouldn't work with ANY settings for long. But, a BIOS upgrade and a jumper setting fixed most things.

But, then... I am just a by-stander.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New What is the surefire way of fixing it then?
Besides installing Linux over the hard drive, what is the best way to fix Windows 9X issues? Like getting GPFs, Page Faults, etc while running IE or Netscape and getting errors after a while in them? My father is playing Yahoo Pool and after a few hours of play, either IE or Netscape blows up into several different errors. We tried 98, 98SE, W2K, XP Pro, then W2K again, and then back to 98SE. It could be the hardware settings, but all hardware is current, brand new parts. No older parts being used except for the CD-ROM drive, could that be the cause of some of the problems?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Sure fire?
Hows about "works some of the time"? That's about all the satisfaction you're going to get from Windows.
  • Obtain the license number for the Windows on the machine. If not available use regedit to find it. If you can't get Windows up, search SYSTEM.DAT from a DOS boot. If all else fails, make sure you have a license number from another machine with the same Windows rev.
  • Wipe everything in \\Windows (particularly USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT), \\Windows\\System, \\Windows\\Inf, and remove or rename the \\Windows\\Desktop directory.
  • Reinstall Windows 9X (but not, under any circumstances, Windows Me).
  • Reinstall any software that can't rebuild it's registry settings (Office 2000 for sure). Set up icons for the ones that can.
  • If you still see the problems, suspect hardware
I do this to one machine or another at least a couple times a month, and usually it satbilizes things for a while.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I suspect the hardware
I did that, and RRRs quite a few times already. That is why I suspected the hardware or perhaps CMOS settings. I tried everything but Windows ME, BTW. 98, 98SE, W2K, XP Pro were all tried. 98SE seems to be the most stable and has fewer crashes than the rest, don't ask me why, it just does.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Seconded....
Thirded... fourthed... and fifthed AT LEAST...

RRR is usually the only COMPLETE way to get it to work....

Of course I just dd the windows image to a file on a seperate machine then reimage with dd when things go awry... MUCH FASTER... best part is I get it the way I want it everytime... If I update it alot after the image... I write a new one...

I have yet to have this fail... but then you gotta have room on a second drive or so... or a server etc...

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
     Windows not really so bad - (orion) - (5)
         Ummm. no... - (folkert) - (4)
             What is the surefire way of fixing it then? - (orion) - (3)
                 Sure fire? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     I suspect the hardware - (orion)
                     Seconded.... - (folkert)

Politics.
37 ms