IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 4 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tom Lehrer Live! ... in Copenhagen, 1967--on PBS. Where t.f. else?
Check your local Tee Vee or, well--you--Know

N! of the Immortal-Ones, from before you'd made it to Romper Room (or the new Sesame Street in B&W).
And some lengthy digressions--Vietnam Etc.--maybe his first/last non-sung excoriation (?) Dunno.

This be the Best viewable performance we ever see of..
We Will All Go Together When We --> Go
("I'd like to dedicate that song to President Johnson ..who, unfortunately cannot be here tonight".)

Have always believed that--for his razor-sharp elocution-with-feeling: Messrs. Gilbert & Sullivan would have Killed to get him to Blighty.
But were dead already, IIRC :-/
The velocity of his The Elements reminds of Glenn Gould playing Bach (Partitas, others) ..vastly slower /faster--thus
revealing More--you hadn't ever realized re 'tempo' and virtuosity -vs- cognitive er, excellence?

'Twas him alone who elevated my regard for Mathematicians, as: capable of much more than some new-twist in rushing to peer-review,
Riemann Geometry + Hilbert Space within the Space-Time Continuum+Uncertainty Principle: Unmasked
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 16, 2020, 09:37:46 PM EDT
New Well, it's not on the local PBS -- SCETV.
But, the NPR part of SCETV had program that mentioned the CD and that it can be viewed on Prime Video:

Tom Lehrer: Live in Copenhagen.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks on update; balked at just getting from KQED
But I have--via ∑-years contributions--that Passport thing. Hey!
they Need the money; Repos haven't yet succeeded in totally defunding 'The Publc'--as many times as they've hacked away at its annual stipend.
Your $$ spits in a Repo-Eye (what could be more satisfying ..with your clothes on?)

This is a Keeper via whichever route; hadn't heard an opus or two. Audience loved it bilingually; he spoke a few lines. Competently, yet.
(Seeing the von Braun one is just delicious--his face follows every syllable; Body-language at its peak.

I cannot fathom his eidetic-memory of every syl-la-ble while transposing, ascending keys--all while Talking!
--without a slightest miss. But I digress.

PS: pisses moi off--no bloody Web in '67: I was in Copenhagen a bit later than this event on Dansk TV--would have swapped dates fershure {{sniff}}
(but I'll always have Paris ..and Audrey in S.F. :-)
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 17, 2020, 04:43:03 AM EDT
     Tom Lehrer Live! ... in Copenhagen, 1967--on PBS. Where t.f. else? - (Ashton) - (2)
         Well, it's not on the local PBS -- SCETV. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Thanks on update; balked at just getting from KQED - (Ashton)

True, there's a part of the horse's anatomy involved, but it's not the mouth...
75 ms