IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New replacing a 30yo ac unit on the roof of an RV
taking the old one out, I have the old install instruction set, removed inside lower unit disconnected all wires, removed all mounting bolts, damn thing wouldn't move. Checked a bunch of youtub vids, supposedly it is loose once the bolts are out. However neoprene gaskets torqued to 50ftlb after 30 years weld to the roof. Used a scraper and a hammer to loosen the gasket a little. Cut a 4x4 to an appropriate length and took a car floor jack mounted on another 4x4 to spread the pressure points, centered the upright 4x4 to the upper unit then slowly raised the jack while cutting gasket as I went. Upper unit is loose now but left in place as I foresee a major scraping job before I place the new one down. Fun part was hoisting the new unit 77lbs to the roof of the RV. Even in my 40's I would have tucked it under my arms and climbed a ladder but those days are long gone. Good thing I am crafty.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Replacing with a heat pump?
That's what I did, but paid to have that done.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New no, a domestic brisk II mainly because it has manual controls
as opposed to the the original duo therm that had a pressure digital switch. Once that went out the unit was horked.
Once I get the old one down I will tear it apart to see if I can wire it to a manual system then put it in the bedroom for a second unit

After I looked at the install book for the original it seemed pretty straight forward. What was your labor cost if you dont mind me asking?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New The price included installation, around $1700.
The unit needed replacement because the first one had a flaw and did not work when it was really hot outside. The coolant was mixture of chemicals. I’m glad I didn’t mail order the unit because warranty handling would have been a real pain.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     replacing a 30yo ac unit on the roof of an RV - (boxley) - (3)
         Replacing with a heat pump? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             no, a domestic brisk II mainly because it has manual controls - (boxley) - (1)
                 The price included installation, around $1700. - (a6l6e6x)

Heh -- yeah, I'm well known here for my anarcho-libertarian preference.
54 ms