One: having seen samples of mail-in Courses my Pater was taking--even then and there: (a Pharmicist's Mate in Navy)
He would have gone on to 'save lives' in chosen career; the Kamikaze pilot was--from his perspective--also 'saving lives' of his tribe: by trading his own.
(Hard to fault either one--just another homo-sap version of, Unclear on the Concept of perpetual warfare--sans all Scale & Relativty of Each Side's predictable perfidy.

Have grokked the tactics, history of that encounter; the Japanese had perfectly refined their strategy to use the topology (!!) of that island
--to a Fare-Thee-Well; The GI's had to make PIcketts' Charge /Civil War a necessity, all unawares of the tunnel complex as made pop-up sniping a Dead (-ening) certainty.

All symbolized within that immortal Flag-raising photo, which must have received more views than any similar event--even the scenes of the Hindenberg
(that clusterfuck of Bad-chemistry in its paint! + static electricity + Hydrogen: because! the U.S. would not sell Helium to the Germans! ..make that, !!!

[See what I mean?] Okinawa was a pellucid metaphor for any ✓-off listicle re DON'T DO THIS--you IDIOTS!

Even moi can see THIS as a Given (but I never found a copy of) Kirkegård's

Two Ethical-Religious Minor Essays.
(Tvende ethisk-religieuse Smaa-Afhandlinger.)
a. Does a Human Being Have the Right to Let Himself Be Put to Death for the Truth? A Posthumous Work of a Solitary Human Being. A Poetical Venture. by H.H.
b. The Difference between a Genius and an Apostle. 1847.

Rest Case: homo-sap has a Terminal-Fault within its meat-ware ..'Thinking'? ... Meat ??!!
(Mayhap Nature's next-Try?) shall start from some Dysprosium-Praseodymium-(other Lanthanides) mix:
better suited for Turing-Complete, pico-Second switching-rate brainz--or must I design one?
;^>