IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Parent" link in post, please
When someone replies to an old post on a long thread (Hi Christian!) it's annoying trying to find what they were replying* to.

* My phone autocorrected "replying" to "trolling".
--

Drew
New [Command] ƒ [timestamp] somewhat reduces annoyance :-) YMMV with lesser OS's..
Hey! ..we're all stuck with ..re-reading the Library of Congress (and other short stories), crafting new 'nics for the unTeachables, etc. :-þ

We're more-Better: some/too many are just buying more *ammo :-/
Up-side: no masks worn in gun shops :-) though that spreads to ordinary humans :-/
I punt.
New We used to have that . . .
. . before the big server crash and rewrite. It certainly was very convenient.
New It's in the thread headlines below the post bodies themselves.
If it isn't, you need to check the right and uncheck the wrong checkboxes on the config page.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Example
What's the parent post to this?
http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/435184/
--

Drew
New Stop being an idiot and do as I told you to.
It's http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/435109/ , obviously.

Now go to the settings page and check "Display whole thread's headline links below post bodies" -- or whatever it's actually called -- like I fricking said in the fucking post you bleeding well replied to, and you too can see that with a single fucking click on your link.

It's not fucking rocket surgery.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Show me
Preferences, reply link and post ID disabled:

Display, reply link and post ID disabled:

Note the numbers outlined in red. I can't figure out what these refer to.

Preferences, reply link and post ID enabled:

Display, reply link and post ID enabled:

I see the reply links, but no post IDs.

Nowhere do I see any way to reference the parent post, nor any reference to headline.
--

Drew
New Don't need to, you just did it yourself.
1) The links in the thread listing ARE the headlines of the posts. (HTF are you not noticing this?)

2) The parent post is the closest one above your post of interest in that thread list that is indented one step less.

3) AFAICS the numbers in parentheses are most probably the number of replies to each post.

Bit weird that your pref changes don't seem to make any difference -- wait for them to propagate somewhere (where?), log out and in again, something like that? Idunno, but don't much care either: It works for me, and the parent link you originally asked for has been there the whole time (cf #2 above).
--

Christian R. Conrad

New OK, I clearly need to find a longer thread to demonstrate
http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/434766/

How easy is it to spot the parent of this one? Yes, I see that the subject is a clickable link. The issue is figuring out which of those I want.
--

Drew
New Pretty easy.
http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/434755/

Yeah, sure, that alignment thingy can become an issue for me also. But I find the workaround pretty easy too: Put your mouse cursor at the beginning of the non-link headline of yuor post in the listing, then scroll upwards with the keyboard until it a line starting further left hits your cursor. (This thread you found was still so short I didn't even get to use PgUp, just Up-Arrow. :-) )

But personally I don't use that technique very often at all; usually just when someone links deeply into a thread, like you here. Normally, though, I just display the whole thread and then scroll down to the un-read bits, handily marked by little LRPDs. As JerryP used to say, "Recommended."
--

Christian R. Conrad

New That doesn't work when reading on a phone
--

Drew
New The parrent number used to appear . .
. . just under the two dates in the left column of each post - and it was a link to that post. Very convenient.
New Yup, on zIWT
--

Drew
New Oh just change your signature back already
The man who knows everything. You know you're just waiting to do it.
New I usually just end up reading the whole thread again.
I'm used to the stream-of-consciousness discussion on Balloon-Juice ("threaded discussions are EVIL and don't tell us otherwise!!1"), but even there one can click on the @xxxx in the comment to get back to the immediate reference in the discussion if necessary. Unless, of course, there are a bunch of embedded tweet graphics in the thread - then the page scrolls once the graphics load and who knows where you'll end up...

:-/

It was nice when it was easier to see who was replying to whom here, but it's still pretty good!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: "Parent" link in post, please
There aren't going to be any new features until the next rewrite (read: possibly never), mainly because the forum software still runs on Python 2.7 and I can't* get it running locally on my machine any more.

* It won't run on my Mac and I'm not willing to spend several hours futzing with VMs of old OSes and Python builds.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New If you get bored...
this seems to be a good resource.

https://www.ianmaddaus.com/post/manage-multiple-versions-python-mac/

HTH!

Seriously, thanks for keeping us entertained and informed all these years. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks; I'm already using pyenv
There's something else going on though.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New If the code it still open?
I still do some Django work. I can try to get things going on Python 3/Django 3.
     "Parent" link in post, please - (drook) - (18)
         [Command] ƒ [timestamp] somewhat reduces annoyance :-) YMMV with lesser OS's.. - (Ashton)
         We used to have that . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         It's in the thread headlines below the post bodies themselves. - (CRConrad) - (11)
             Example - (drook) - (10)
                 Stop being an idiot and do as I told you to. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     Show me - (drook) - (8)
                         Don't need to, you just did it yourself. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             OK, I clearly need to find a longer thread to demonstrate - (drook) - (6)
                                 Pretty easy. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     That doesn't work when reading on a phone -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                         The parrent number used to appear . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Yup, on zIWT -NT - (drook)
                                     Oh just change your signature back already - (crazy)
                                 I usually just end up reading the whole thread again. - (Another Scott)
         Re: "Parent" link in post, please - (malraux) - (3)
             If you get bored... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Thanks; I'm already using pyenv - (malraux)
             If the code it still open? - (scoenye)