IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On the other hand . . .
. . I had no trouble at all understanding what he said.

I don't depend on dictionaries to tell me what words mean, I interpret them in the context in which they are given.

To me, there has been no thread on this site as silly as the one about Kamala Harris' "misuse" of a word. If you know what the word meant in the context in which it appeared, it did its job. Referring to the dictionary is a last resort.

In any case, the dictionary has done our language a great disservice. English was right in the middle of a major transition in pronunciation - then the first dictionary was published, allowing English teachers to freeze it in that unstable state. That's why our spelling is so fucked.
New More than just dictionaries.
It was printing, specifically movable type that halted the shift of English spelling and pronunciation. Caught it right as it was morphing, too, as you said.

Wade.
     Peter, need translation help please - (drook) - (8)
         (See whatcha mean) ..but it rhymes! and it's skivially the Cat's Meow. -NT - (Ashton)
         Possibly a mix. - (static)
         On the other hand . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             More than just dictionaries. - (static)
         That better not be cockney - (scoenye) - (1)
             manc Manke dirty, filthy -NT - (boxley)
         Can't see why speakers of any slang / dialect should necessarily speak it so ungrammatically, innit? - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Easy: they're trying to act Presidential* (..and succeeding!) -NT - (Ashton)

Politics.
38 ms