IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Definitely not one of the "better thans" . . .
. . or they would have known that statement should have ended in "we" not in "us".
New I know why you say that, but I'm gonna disagree
It's because it could have said "better than we are."

But it didn't say that, so "us" is the object of the sentence, not the subject of a hypothetical phrase.

Besides, you don't like English teachers and grammar scolds, so o0oo oo0o.
--

Drew
New I base my objection not on the rules of grammar . . .
. . but on how it sounds to me, and to me, "us" sounds wrong enough to grate. Thus, in this case, I will side with the grammar pedants. Inevitably, that does happen now and then, and I make no apology. Miss Weinstock will be blessing my soul from heaven (curses 943 / blessings 12).
New Seconding The Gryge.. 'us' Sounds Bad on-its-face.
.because every literate person knows-in-the-bones, that: the 'are' ever silently-follows
Every such construct of this format.
And I am unanimous in that.

[OK.. stubborn, then] >This> is about, the mellifluous aural-sound /nature ..of any memorable utterence by English-speakers who
have grokked-to-fullness, the immortal phraseology of The Bard (whether ..a 'He', a 'She'--or part of some committee du that jour).

(We Shall ..overcome ..to coin a phrase :-) ['WIll' would be "..flat, stale and unprofitable"] ;^>
     IHLRPD - (drook) - (4)
         Definitely not one of the "better thans" . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             I know why you say that, but I'm gonna disagree - (drook) - (2)
                 I base my objection not on the rules of grammar . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Seconding The Gryge.. 'us' Sounds Bad on-its-face. - (Ashton)

My God, it's full of stars...
51 ms