IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I certainly remember having amnesia . . .
. . and my efforts to determine if I was still in the same world I didn't remember. Yup, it all checked out as my memory came back - once I escaped from the hospital and got back to familiar environments.
New More words, please
--

Drew
New Oh, it's too long and complicated . . .
. . for a post here to do it justice. So, I'll write it up this afternoon, put it up on my "In Memoriam" page, and post a link here.

Yes, I'm writing my own Memoriam, because I'm confident nobody else will. I can't get them to write pages for people who were actually important to them.
New OK, here it is - enjoy!
New Damn, you got lucky
--

Drew
New Tpyo: "Beuna Vista, a major street in Burbank,.." --> Buena, no es verdad?
New Thanks, fixed.
New Oh, speaking of which ...
You missed a closing quote, and have quotes from multiple people in one paragraph, which most editors (and high school English teachers) would take issue with.
--

Drew
New I will check that closing quote, but . . . .
. . I have taken "issues" with English teachers since well before high school, and very much so with Miss Weinstock in senior year high. I did not and will not yield. Editors? I don't give a shit about them, nor they about me.

Miss Weinstock, terror of Burbank High. had two example students, my almost girl friend Karen Lynn**, and myself. We were not in the same classes.

Miss Weinstock (Ms. had not been invented yet) told everyone how wonderful Karen Lynn was, who had never had a grade less than "A" (except in PE, she was very small). She compared her to "Andrew Grygus (emphasis hers), who is just as smart and could get grades just as good, but will not apply himself!"

Actually, I was applying myself vigorously to my studies, which just didn't happen to coincide with the studies assigned me by teachers.

By the last semester, Karen had already effectively graduated, been accepted into college, and sluffed off with a C average, just like mine.

Funny: after graduation, Karen admitted to hating Miss Weinstock's guts, whereas I, who had fought her constantly, thought she was pretty OK. I guess "As" can be expensive to the soul.

Added note: At graduation Karen was on the honors stage . . . . . . . . and so was I. Teachers asked each other, "What the Hell is he doing up there?" Well, it was the SAT. Karen had missed 1 question, I had missed 3***.

Actually I almost didn't graduate - well, not all that close. In my "Senior Psychology" class, taught by Mr Brukner, the PE coach, we were required to produce a Daily Diary of the class. Some hopeless nerd actually did that, and everyone else copied him. This was a severe violation of my ethical standards, I wouldn't copy, and I wouldn't do something so stupid. When the time came to turn it in, I presented nothing, and explained why. Mr Brukner flagged me as disobedient, disruptive, failed, and not to graduate.

I was called before Mr. Bedigan, the Principal, to explain myself. I did. He said, "Well, let us see". He pulled out my folder and opened it. It contained not even a moth. He said to me, "You mean you have gone all they way through high school and never been in any kind of trouble at all?" I told him, "Not that I recall". He closed the folder and said, "You're graduating".

** Karen and her family were staunch Mormons, and tried to convert me. Even though I still presumed I was a Christian in those days, I knew this could not possibly work. The angel Moron (oops, that's Moroni, he's Italian) and I were not going to get along. A few years ago I remembered her married name and looked her up on the Internet. She teaches early Mormon music at Brigham Young in Utah.

*** SAT tutoring did not exist yet in those days - we had to fly solo.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 14, 2020, 03:25:20 AM EDT
New You got lucky (again)
Today the principal would have backed up the teacher anyway, and possibly called the police.
--

Drew
New And today, the parents would sue the school
Social progress has been made.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 14, 2020, 11:31:51 AM EDT
New decent principals were out there
One particular time a frothing at the mouth science teach hauled me in front of the principal screaming about arrests and dire beatings to come. My defense was "prove it was me."
Principal looked at the science teacher and asked, "did you actually see him commit the offense?"
He could not state so truthfully so I was let go on my way rejoicing.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Did you do it?
--

Drew
New of coarse
New A w.a.g. on your 'offense'
Just curious.

You found out that:
if you put Iodine crystals in a filter cone and poured Ammonia over it and let it dry: ya gots a mixture of "Iodine-tri-Nitride"/blackish and "Nitrogen tri-Iodide" /brownish.
The black was the detonator: a fly landing on it--actually seen! by moi--would detonate, making a purplish/brown cloud and a BANG.
(The black part was centered atop the funnel-full) == the very-definition of 'Unstable'--even more than Picrates are--so naturally, we Loved. It.

We called that, Operation Zed ... I only surmised that ..this handy Recipe was likely widespread in chem classes all over; never mind the fancy chem-name stuff:
if you brushed the mix [while WET!] onto say, a caster on a chair or something likely to be moved--well, you can See that,
[First time it happened to them] a Teach might just go all irascible, etc.

;^>

(But the Phlogiston mix---instant Incendiary--is a more-dire concoction) ..while just as simple to make; moi hopes this Recipe ... never gets to the Proud Puking Boyz-R-Us Nazi-mobs. Only rarely have I described this: to a few deemed to be: reliably sane, likely even in bizarre circumstances--'course nothing IS fershure, especially Now.
I hope that my cohort still-gots Ethics--despite all the temptations. Ya don't pass this shit around just for ego vanity.

(A person who actually studied Mr. Mendeleev's Brilliant Chart of the Elements ..might deduce a key element, but yer avge. "I Had to take chemistry!" / algebra /ie actually Study something, and Like that: unlikely. Which is Good.
Not teasing here: there really are simple-while-Diabolical mixtures (not just these) which no Ever-Trumper should ever hear ..even rumors about. We'll See.
The Shit HAS Hit. The. Fan.
New No, Mr. Wright was a canned asshole
useless teacher worse authoritarian. After school while a large crowd of students were waiting for rides he exited the building headed for the parking lot. A few shouts of "Mr Wright you are wrong" quickly degenerated into "you pig fucker" and "Bull Semen catcher" that went even further downhill. Myself and a good friend were amusing the crowd quite well until Mr. Wright started getting steam coming out of his ears and proceeded at speed in my direction. The crowd quickly scattered, when my buddy started to run I said stay right here, he did.

When hurled into the principals office I quietly pointed out if it was us we would have ran like the rest of the students.

Defense rested and won.
New Wow! ..open Defiance..
(Had we anyone that-bad) were MIl. inmates to do that?
--up against the Wall; Last ciggy, Mr. Hero..? Blindfold or not?

(But then I never did like Mobs--living within ~such, close-enough. Can't retreat to other territory).
New Zooks!
Jaguar knew how to make cars with very pleasing lines. My best friend in high school's father had a (used) XJS V12 for a while. Traded it for a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang. ;-)

Thanks for the story. Glad you survived and recovered!

Cheers,
Scott.
New If it weren't for the E-type, the Jag XK 120 (40, 50, 60) would be widely held as best-looking ever.
New Wayback--a meticulous-restorer friend was working on such.
I know he Finished ..then kept it for a l o n g time; believe he cashed in--after the price rose to Ludicrous-scale.
Unlike moi--
who could not afford to put the pristine Vincent into nitrogen-filled baggie, while realizing strongly: I. Should. :-/
Them's the ∆-breaks when yer young,
have beer-income and champagne appetites; I accept.. somewhat.. that that goes with Kapitalismo 'Murican-style.
(But am unlikely to see a Tesla in garage), despite those years of quite-enough $$-income == "I left that". No regrets).

Vrooo-->mmm
New Now that's what you call a close call!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Hell of a story
I've had 3 drug induced blackouts in my life. Each is very memorable for the before and after moments and the incredibly stupid stuff I did during, that other people had to tell me.

I never want to have to say: I did what?
Again
New Solicitous-LRPD: We have some experienced flamelords who can take care of *them*.
     IreadLRPD - (lincoln) - (23)
         I certainly remember having amnesia . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
             More words, please -NT - (drook) - (21)
                 Oh, it's too long and complicated . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
                     OK, here it is - enjoy! - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                         Damn, you got lucky -NT - (drook)
                         Tpyo: "Beuna Vista, a major street in Burbank,.." --> Buena, no es verdad? -NT - (CRConrad) - (11)
                             Thanks, fixed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                                 Oh, speaking of which ... - (drook) - (9)
                                     I will check that closing quote, but . . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                         You got lucky (again) - (drook) - (1)
                                             And today, the parents would sue the school - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         decent principals were out there - (boxley) - (5)
                                             Did you do it? -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                 of coarse -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     A w.a.g. on your 'offense' - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         No, Mr. Wright was a canned asshole - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Wow! ..open Defiance.. - (Ashton)
                         Zooks! - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             If it weren't for the E-type, the Jag XK 120 (40, 50, 60) would be widely held as best-looking ever. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Wayback--a meticulous-restorer friend was working on such. - (Ashton)
                         Now that's what you call a close call! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hell of a story - (crazy) - (1)
                             Solicitous-LRPD: We have some experienced flamelords who can take care of *them*. -NT - (Ashton)

7.8 on the Richter scale.
319 ms