IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is this-all so clear that everyone knows it?
Or are you particularly attuned because of your culinary adventuring?
--

Drew
New It's pretty inescapable.
In whole sections of Los Angeles* the signs are in Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Spanish, and even Arabic, often with English subtitles. Glendale is Armenian, and the San Gabriel Valley is almost all Asian.

Here in La Crescenta, some years back when the Chamber of Commerce was lily white and very conservative, they tried to get legislation passed that all signs must be in English. They got laughed at.

The LA Times food section is almost always about ethnic cuisines - that's what people are interested in. Three quarters of the restaurants here are clearly of one ethnicity or another. Back before COVID there were many ethnic festivals.

The big multi-ethnic markets are thriving, even with COVID, though I no longer have to carefully time my visits to be sure there will be a parking space.

A couple of years ago, I was at Sunland Produce. The place was swarming as usual. There were saffron robed monks from the big Thai temple, Sikhs in their turbans, black clad priests from the Armenian cathedrals, women in saris, women wearing hijabs** etc. etc. A woman turned to me laughing, and asked, "Are we in America?" - in a heavy German accent.

* By "Los Angeles", I mean Los Angeles County, because it's all one huge city.

** In Los Angeles, hijabs tend to be light and loosely tossed. Burkas are not seen at all.
     I'm often amazed at the price of imported foods . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         Most of us can't drive to Viet Nam on two gallons of gas -NT - (drook) - (10)
             That's to Viet Nam AND BACK on 2 gallons. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                 Another.. ... Boffo! ;^> - (Ashton)
                 Is this-all so clear that everyone knows it? - (drook) - (1)
                     It's pretty inescapable. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 You have iranians!? - (crazy) - (5)
                     Re: You have iranians!? - (Andrew Grygus)
                     There are some in Charlotte. They call themelves Persians. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                         Persians. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             But the name for the language, "farsi", izzat their own or from the Grecians? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Looks like the Greeks weren't far off. - (Andrew Grygus)