IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A lot of desktops have embedded video.
Fine for a lot of tasks. But only one monitor supported.

Wade.
New Which was the case here.
HPs tend to be highly crippled, but this one at least had a PCIe16 slot. It was also low profile, but, fortunately, the video card I'd selected came with optional low profile brackets. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take a HDMI to VGA adapter, because both their monitors had only VGA cables.

I knew there would likely be limitations and prepared for them. The family that owns this company is very wealthy, so, of course, they bought their office/finance manager refurbed equipment at the lowest price. That's just the way wealthy people are.
New Utterly fucking weird.
I don't get it. Are you saying HP goes to extra lengths to disable even the basic functionality Intel includes on its cheapo processors? Funny, that would mean an extra cost for a negative "benefit". Or that these people buy not only refurb machines (yeah, cheapskate move), but refurb boxes that are nearly a decade old? Funny, you'd think the antique collector's value would make those more expensive rather than less.

Utterly fucking weird.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Hey, I'm using one of those low-profile HP desktops
Difference is, I've had it for at least 10 years, and I got it as a work cast-off. I'm writing this on it right now as a matter of fact.
--

Drew
New It wouldn't have mattered much
Recent HP boxes come with various permutations of DisplayPort and HDMI ports. VGA and DVI are getting rare as hen's teeth. Before I left my previous employer, I had the entire attic full of perfectly functional VGA monitors because we couldn't connect them to the round of Win 10 PCs they finally bought.

(I picked the PCs. There just weren't any worth buying that came with 2 VGA ports.)
New Preach it
Back before the lockdown and my WFH status, I was on the scrounge for a nicer monitor at work, and found a beautiful HP panel, 1920x1200 or thereabouts. "Come with me, my pretty", I said.

Got it to my desk - VGA only. Laptop has HDMI and USB3/TB ports only.

Motherfucker.

I mean sure, I could have farted about purchasing adapters and whatnot, but at the end of the day, VGA is a dead, analogue standard which means pressing the auto-adjust button on the monitor every time the power goes out, or it randomly decides to forget its settings, and even then it's not quite right, and you have to adjust the phase or the sharpness or the FUCK THIS GIVE ME A DIGITAL CONNECTION IT'S TWENTY FUCKING TWENTY.
New Note on USB3/TB and Macs
At work we've got dual monitors mounted to each desk. I ordered docks for my group, mostly because I was tired of having to carry my dock around each morning. (Hot desking ... don't get me started.)

The windows lappers work fine. Macs will either use one in extended mode, or both if you duplicate the main screen to both. It drives both just fine if you put the second in the HDMI. So no dock love for Mac users.
--

Drew
New What's "embedded" video, if not what laptops have had since... Idunno, the Bronze Age?
Lots of at least Intel integrated video chips support up to three monitors. From https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025673/graphics.html :
For the following graphics products, most combinations of HDMI, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort (DP), Embedded DP (eDP), and Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) support three independent displays:

Intel® UHD Graphics 605/610/620/630
Intel® HD Graphics 610/615/620/630
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640/650/655
Intel® HD Graphics 500/505/510/515/520/530
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 540/550/580
Intel® HD Graphics 6000/5500
Intel® Iris® Graphics 6100/6200
Intel® HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000
Intel® Iris® Graphics 5100/5200
That last one has apparently been around since 2013, and is integrated onto the processor itself. How much more "embedded" do things get? https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Graphics-5100.91977.0.html :
The Intel Iris Graphics 5100 (GT3), also called HD Graphics 5100, is a processor graphics card included in some of the Haswell processors of 2013.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Looking at the back of mine ...
It's got VGA out, 6 USB, Cat 5 Ethernet, PS/2 for mouse and keyboard, and sound. So even if the chipset supports it there's no place to plug it in.
--

Drew
New OK, no USB Type C, of course... But no DisplayPort (2007) or HDMI (2003)? Or even DVI (1999)?!?
New Notebooks here are starting to come with HDMI . . .
. . but if they do, they don't have VGA, thus still one video port. Many desktops now have two video ports, but I'm not sure if they support two monitors. I've also seen some with one HDMI only. I know that if you plug in a video card, the on-board video is automatically turned off, thus I just make things simply by installing a dual monitor video card. My time costs more than the video card.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 12, 2020, 07:08:16 PM EDT
New My work laptop has only one HDMI port
But it also supports video via USB-C, which is how I connect to two monitors when I'm in the office - one on the HDMI connection and one on the USB connection.

My personal desktop here (which I built myself) has on-board graphics with DVI and HDMI out, which provides multi-monitor support. I don't use that, having a fast graphics card (AMD RX5700XT) for 3D work and games; this has 2 DP ports and an HDMI port, all of which can be used together.

I think the two DP ports can also be used together with a single monitor, to drive very high resolution displays such as 8K.
New I got J a new Mac Mini and a 4K LG display recently.
Beautiful screen and no real problems with the MacMini.

But the display wouldn't show 4K on HDMI on the MacMini. I had to use a DisplayPort cable for it.

Maybe that's a well-known issue, but it annoyed me for a while until I figured it out.

There are still too many connectors. It's getting to be like plumbing connectors...

I suppose once everything kinda standardizes on USB-C, then Apple will start using optical fibers to connect everything...

Oh, and don't get me started on USB-C docks. I'm using one with my L390 laptop to drive 2 older Dell monitors and that works fine, but if I plug in a USB memory stick into the same dock then the monitors go blank. :-/

Grr...

Cheers,
Scott.
New USB-C "docks" and adapters... *sigh*
Local electronics store has a range of USB-C things to other stuff, mostly for the MacBook crowd because that's all those things have. Far too many of them have HDMI plus other more desirable stuff - I'm thinking HDMI must be stupid cheap to add, given there's a way to get it directly over the USB-C connector. 2x USB-A plus HDMI. USB-A, SD card reader, HDMI. USB-A, USB-C, HDMI (Apple's standard one, actually). 2x 4K HDMI. Umm.

It took me months to find a simple 1x USB-A socket. I settled for a "hub" that has three USB-A sockets plus inexplicably an Ethernet port, too!

Standards are wonderful - so many to choose from.

Wade.
New Insert standard XKCD reference here
--

Drew
New Nope, nope, and nope
--

Drew
New Not just the processor.
The embedded graphics provides a way to do all the fancy schmancy drawing to an image buffer or three but it still needs a physical interface chip to provide a usable offboard connection. Laptops will typically have at least two: one driving an LVDS connection to the screen and a second (or third) driving sockets such as HDMI. But motherboards often have just one driving a HDMI or DisplayPort socket. Thus the limitation.

Wade.
     Things you forget about desktop computers - (drook) - (33)
         Are you sure? - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             The part that goes "beep"? - (scoenye) - (3)
                 I had one of those ... yes, nearly useless -NT - (drook)
                 Microsoft had a PC Speaker driver at one point. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Yes, it was a 16-bit Windows thing. - (static)
         Desktop computers? Is there some other kind? - (Andrew Grygus) - (27)
             Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Re: Servers, workstations, mainframes, embedded ... Yeah, quite a few other kinds. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Most browsing and media consumption is on handheld devices these days, afaik - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Google says . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Try BrowserStack for testing. - (malraux)
             With desktop peripherals, laptops/notebooks ARE desktops. - (CRConrad) - (21)
                 As long as there's a dock so I only need to fiddle with one plug -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Yeah, that would be even nicer. - (CRConrad)
                 Well, my (remaining) clients mostly perfer . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                     "install a dual monitor video card"... When was this, in 1987? - (CRConrad) - (17)
                         A lot of desktops have embedded video. - (static) - (16)
                             Which was the case here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Utterly fucking weird. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     Hey, I'm using one of those low-profile HP desktops - (drook)
                                     It wouldn't have mattered much - (scoenye) - (2)
                                         Preach it - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Note on USB3/TB and Macs - (drook)
                             What's "embedded" video, if not what laptops have had since... Idunno, the Bronze Age? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 Looking at the back of mine ... - (drook) - (7)
                                     OK, no USB Type C, of course... But no DisplayPort (2007) or HDMI (2003)? Or even DVI (1999)?!? -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         Notebooks here are starting to come with HDMI . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             My work laptop has only one HDMI port - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 I got J a new Mac Mini and a 4K LG display recently. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     USB-C "docks" and adapters... *sigh* - (static) - (1)
                                                         Insert standard XKCD reference here -NT - (drook)
                                         Nope, nope, and nope -NT - (drook)
                                 Not just the processor. - (static)

Here's a banana and some string for you to hang behind you.
137 ms