IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 2) depends on your current active kernel
Linux switched to a lightweight VM model where the guest OS can access the hardware without emulation. Current kernels are "paravirtual" ready. Older ones may not be and need virtual hardware drivers just like Windows. If yours is already paravirtualized, I think you'll be able to run it as a guest OS without making changes (although for safety, image the partitions an work off the copies.)

For 1): the update schedule is that of the distribution chosen as the hypervisor.

I've run the open version of the Xen hypervisor for a number of years. There is no immediate need to keep the hypervisor and guest OS in step. Kernel updates to the hypervisor would require a hardware reboot.
New May not matter, I believe I've bricked it
After the last release upgrade it ended on an error. I tried to finish the install and it said I needed to restart to complete the upgrade. When I rebooted it won't come up.

If I can find a thumb drive with enough space I'll try a current install and just overwrite the whole thing. I backed up /home to an external USB hard drive before I started the whole process.

Wait, duh, external USB hard drive. Going to see if I can make a bootable image on that.
--

Drew
New 10.04 works like a dream in VirtualBox
The guest additions are a nice-to-have, not a have-to-have.
     How to update really old Ubuntu install? - (drook) - (39)
         what happens when you use wget to get that file? -NT - (boxley)
         Don't go straight from $ancient_version to $modern_version, if possible - (pwhysall) - (14)
             Working, please wait... - (pwhysall) - (13)
                 You must be bored, but ok and thanks - (drook) - (1)
                     Well, that's Linux for you :D - (pwhysall)
                 I noticed - (drook)
                 So, it works. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     About to punt - (drook) - (8)
                         What's in the logs? -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Wood. HAAAAAHAHAHA!!!! - (drook)
                             Nothing useful - (drook) - (5)
                                 OS/2!! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     OS/2 is Old! - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Progress! I think ... maybe - (drook) - (2)
                                     I have had some success with Aptitude for apparently-borked apt issues -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         2nd this - (scoenye)
         What's the toolchain you're trying to resurrect, btw? -NT - (pwhysall) - (19)
             LaTex / Lyx plus several plugins for formatting -NT - (drook) - (18)
                 Can't just lift config and make files? - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     I set it up (apparently) 10 years ago - (drook) - (16)
                         Let a lazy bastard help - (pwhysall) - (15)
                             Lyx / LaTeX doesn't fail so usefully - (drook) - (14)
                                 I had an old PC act up recently... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                     PS/2 keyboard works, but ... - (drook) - (12)
                                         Also... - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                             Maybe once I drop the coin on a new box - (drook)
                                             This^^^^ - (crazy) - (9)
                                                 Ok, so how? - (drook) - (8)
                                                     It's been years for me since I've done this stuff - (crazy)
                                                     If possible choose default instance environment. - (crazy)
                                                     Re: Ok, so how? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         Nice. Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott)
                                                     2) depends on your current active kernel - (scoenye) - (2)
                                                         May not matter, I believe I've bricked it - (drook)
                                                         10.04 works like a dream in VirtualBox - (pwhysall)
                                                     Just came across this - (crazy)
         Turns out there was an easy solution - (drook) - (2)
             Neato. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 On running hot - (scoenye)

Are you willing and prepared to fully understand the state of your dinner's readiness? I can only make you the dinner... you must taste it.
95 ms