IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Ok, so how?
2) yes. I've done it for a failing Windows laptop containing needed applications. I've not done it for Linux, but imagine that it's probably simpler. If you google up "p2v" you will find a smorgasbord of information about the topic.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm talking about the Physical to Virtual transition, where your separate standalone running computer is transferred to a virtual machine image. There are tools to do this.
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 25, 2020, 12:36:08 PM EDT
New Nice. Thanks for the pointer.
E.g. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

I would dearly love there to be a way to migrate A2D/Digital IO/RS485 comms ("DAQ") PCI interface cards to a VM. We've got a bunch of custom machine control software written in Delphi 7 that is almost impossible to upgrade because later versions of Delphi use Unicode strings which break the comms, the in-house author hasn't figured out to get around that, etc., etc. It runs Ok on Win 7 and should run on Win 10, but it's always a pain to get things reinstalled on moving to new hardware when a machine dies...

(sigh)

Cheers,
Scott.
     How to update really old Ubuntu install? - (drook) - (39)
         what happens when you use wget to get that file? -NT - (boxley)
         Don't go straight from $ancient_version to $modern_version, if possible - (pwhysall) - (14)
             Working, please wait... - (pwhysall) - (13)
                 You must be bored, but ok and thanks - (drook) - (1)
                     Well, that's Linux for you :D - (pwhysall)
                 I noticed - (drook)
                 So, it works. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     About to punt - (drook) - (8)
                         What's in the logs? -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Wood. HAAAAAHAHAHA!!!! - (drook)
                             Nothing useful - (drook) - (5)
                                 OS/2!! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     OS/2 is Old! - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Progress! I think ... maybe - (drook) - (2)
                                     I have had some success with Aptitude for apparently-borked apt issues -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         2nd this - (scoenye)
         What's the toolchain you're trying to resurrect, btw? -NT - (pwhysall) - (19)
             LaTex / Lyx plus several plugins for formatting -NT - (drook) - (18)
                 Can't just lift config and make files? - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     I set it up (apparently) 10 years ago - (drook) - (16)
                         Let a lazy bastard help - (pwhysall) - (15)
                             Lyx / LaTeX doesn't fail so usefully - (drook) - (14)
                                 I had an old PC act up recently... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                     PS/2 keyboard works, but ... - (drook) - (12)
                                         Also... - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                             Maybe once I drop the coin on a new box - (drook)
                                             This^^^^ - (crazy) - (9)
                                                 Ok, so how? - (drook) - (8)
                                                     It's been years for me since I've done this stuff - (crazy)
                                                     If possible choose default instance environment. - (crazy)
                                                     Re: Ok, so how? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         Nice. Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott)
                                                     2) depends on your current active kernel - (scoenye) - (2)
                                                         May not matter, I believe I've bricked it - (drook)
                                                         10.04 works like a dream in VirtualBox - (pwhysall)
                                                     Just came across this - (crazy)
         Turns out there was an easy solution - (drook) - (2)
             Neato. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 On running hot - (scoenye)

No, no. We have to provide potential hostages over there so they won’t look for potential hostages over here.
59 ms