IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did my weekly market run this morning.
Several things have changed.

1. Meat prices are significantly higher and selections are more limited. Fish not yet affected, and chicken in between.

2. Reusable bags are no longer allowed into markets. If you want bags, you have to buy new reusable bags, which you won't be allowed to reuse. This probably has a few eco-freaks contemplating slitting their wrists - but that is an un-ecological thing to do. Too often you survive due to efficient blood clotting, which places further load on an overloaded health system, and leaves you with astronomical medical bills you won't be able to re-pay, because nobody wants to hire a know suicidal maniac who might increase their insurance rates.

3. There are no longer limits on paper goods, at least not at Super King.

I drove by Trader Joe's just to confirm they still had lines, even early Sunday morning.

I went to the Philippines to replenish my supply of my favorite vinegar. They are in the Eagle Rock Mall, which is closed, except for Target. To get in you have to go around the back of the mall and enter at the receiving dock. They were well stocked with vinegars, but not my favorite, so I had to buy second best.

Yesterday, I was updating some Central European recipes to HTML5 and CSS3. Some were interesting, but, I thought, I haven't enough lard for any of those.

Well, today, I bought a big slab of leg to replenish my supply of dead pig. Turned out it had a massive amount of fat artfully concealed under the meaty side, so I will have lard up the kazoo. I do not buy commercial lard, it is bleached to remove all flavor and hydrogenated to make it shelf stable - trans fats anyone? Properly
rendered lard has a better health profile than butter.

The slab yielded enough clear dead pig meat to do 3 of my usual recipes, which means enough for 6 to 7 generous dinners. It'll also yield at least 3 cups of strong pork stock.

I resolved my Clorox crisis a week ago. The Smart and Final restaurant supply up the hill had plenty. Now my only crisis is my usual beer, which Sunland Produce has run out of. My choices are to stand in line at Trader Joes, or start consuming my party supplies. That seems the lesser of two evils, since it's all fine beer, and I'm unlikely to need party supplies for another 16 to 18 months.

Now, I'm going to take a short nap to rest my eyes, and go back to updating recipes to HTML5 and CSS3.
New Using re-usable bags.
The solution here in Oz is that checkouts no longer bag your groceries: you do.

Wade.
New That is the case at Super KIng, but not others I've been to.
New I should note...
That we don't have separate baggers in Aussie supermarkets. The cashier at the checkout scans and bags and handles the payment.

In a related note, coffee shops here have stopped accepting reusable cups.

Wade.
     Did my weekly market run this morning. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Using re-usable bags. - (static) - (2)
             That is the case at Super KIng, but not others I've been to. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I should note... - (static)

Get the hell out of my driveway!
41 ms