IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It’s amazing he’s still functioning at such a high level!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Apropos.. Linus Pauling
Linus Pauling (prolly near-that, then) gave a small lecture ~mid-'60s at a church in Kensington CA, where I dwelt.
(He always gave lectures at Institute--weekly to Freshmen, not wannabe-'peers', Heh).

He hadn't lost a hemi-demi-semiquaver of recall or, ranguage-access.
(I reminded him of the event, after) wherein some narsty-wag had put a copy of The Communist Manifesto in-between the up-sliding chalk boards. I was near enough to peep title as it fell: saw him glance at title ..hardly shrug--then get on with the formulae. Loved. It.

Note: because of HUAC's pestering, LP was unable to go to UK during an event wherein some new data had arrived re The--soon to be--Double-Helix, about to be found. Such clues, from that diffraction-imaging by [the never even mentioned! by Watson/Crick+Wilkins!] work of Rosalind Franklin.

There are bios re the 'discoverers'--who did get to UK whereas, there are/were? sketches LP had made (ill in bed, as I recall) just prior to this confab: on a paper as could be folded appropriately, etc. ie I'd vote Pauling as Discoverer: he had, already the pre-cursor to the elusive Aha! re er, helices. It was nascently in His jelloware, such that a peep at that image? Eureka!! ... Maybe some. day. he can get that additional-Nobel, posthumously.

My jelloware may be deteriorating (re. 'seeing' the score of Verklärte Nacht?) but the Ears have it :-þ
Pauling just seemed-way-off-to-the-Right --> on that Gaussian and ..a Mensch, to boot: perhaps his Best-part.
     DemocracyNow: Chomsky's ∑ from January --> - (Ashton) - (2)
         It’s amazing he’s still functioning at such a high level! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Apropos.. Linus Pauling - (Ashton)

It's like reading nadsat, only without the clarity.
59 ms