IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Echos of Falwell et al. during the 1980s AIDS epidemic.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Yeah, let’s talk about Falwell
I excerpt this from a piece in The Nation dating from the elder Falwell’s death, called “Agent of Intolerance”:
But for Falwell, the “questions of the day” did not always relate to abortion and homosexuality–nor did they begin there. Decades before the forces that now make up the Christian right declared their culture war, Falwell was a rabid segregationist who railed against the civil rights movement from the pulpit of the abandoned backwater bottling plant he converted into Thomas Road Baptist Church. This opening episode of Falwell’s life, studiously overlooked by his friends, naïvely unacknowledged by many of his chroniclers, and puzzlingly and glaringly omitted in the obituaries of the Washington Post and New York Times, is essential to understanding his historical significance in galvanizing the Christian right. Indeed, it was race–not abortion or the attendant suite of so-called “values” issues–that propelled Falwell and his evangelical allies into political activism.

As with his positions on abortion and homosexuality, the basso profondo preacher’s own words on race stand as vivid documents of his legacy. Falwell launched on the warpath against civil rights four years after the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision to desegregate public schools with a sermon titled “Segregation or Integration: Which?”

“If Chief Justice Warren and his associates had known God’s word and had desired to do the Lord’s will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision would never have been made,” Falwell boomed from above his congregation in Lynchburg. “The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line.”

Falwell’s jeremiad continued: “The true Negro does not want integration…. He realizes his potential is far better among his own race.” Falwell went on to announce that integration “will destroy our race eventually. In one northern city,” he warned, “a pastor friend of mine tells me that a couple of opposite race live next door to his church as man and wife.”
Res ipsa loquitur, or it gets the hose again.

cordially,
New all of that was just a euphemism for "white wimmens"
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Completely lost me there
--

Drew
New I understood
Made me think of Blazing Saddles and Cleavon Little for some reason.
     trumpian sized whackadoodle conjurings - (boxley) - (6)
         It's gotten blatant - (drook) - (5)
             Echos of Falwell et al. during the 1980s AIDS epidemic. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 Yeah, let’s talk about Falwell - (rcareaga) - (3)
                     all of that was just a euphemism for "white wimmens" -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         Completely lost me there -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             I understood - (crazy)

¡Despierte, Estupido-idiota!
62 ms