IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) still stupid

As President Donald Trump receives backlash for comments Wednesday about the coronavirus outbreak that were widely perceived as xenophobic, his allies in Congress have risen to his defense — with one senator in particular embracing his rhetoric.

“China is to blame,” Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said Wednesday of the virus, which was first identified in Wuhan, China. “Because the culture where people eat bats and snakes and dogs and things like that.”

He proceeded to identify the consumption of such animals as the source of the virus, echoing a since debunked myth that the outbreak began with a woman eating bat soup. The origins of the virus remain a mystery to health officials, even as it continues to spread globally.

The senator also incorrectly cited China as the birthplace of two other previous outbreaks: the Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS, and the swine flu pandemic.

“China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the swine flu and now the coronavirus,” he said. “So I think they have a fundamental problem, and I don’t object to geographically identifying where it’s coming from.”

But MERS was first detected in Saudi Arabia in 2012, and the swine flu was discovered in the United States back in 2009.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/sen-cornyn-china-blame-coronavirus-because-people-eat-bats-n1163431

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New outbreak began when the handlers of the soon to be soup bats got infected not the soup eater
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New He's probably not entirely wrong.
It's unproven, but the working theory of the source of the new virus has to do with how wet markets work in (that part of) China. It is suspected that there was a cross-contamination problem with storage of live animals in the market coupled with the specifically Chinese rules and laws about how the animals are farmed and sold.

However, selling it as a "Chinese" problem easily mis-characterises this and just stokes racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54&t=4s

Wade.
New +6 balanced, clear--proving again that very few 'things' are ever Simple. ..decisions ..Decisions..
New This is coming from a guy representing the state
that does a Rattlesnake Roundup every year, which ends in a giant cookout.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New tastes like chicken
New I would test that premise . . .
. . if rattlesnake weren't so damned expensive around here.

It has failed for all other things it has been applied to. Alligator, for instance, may taste like chicken if the chicken's grandma had been screwing around with a fish - but the texture still would be much better than chicken.
New chicken tastes like alligator :-) although gator texture is better like you said
New OK let's get back to basics: more recipes for bugs--
the likely main-diet for the planet--should, as usual: all our projections from here -->There prove rong/Rong:
Bugs got lots of necessary nutrients for preserving the remnants of our seppuku-obsessed species
(despite all ongoing arguments against perpetuating such folly).

"Mmm.. tiny crunchy frog ... swaddled in delicious chocolate with.."
New Clovegarden has a section on bugs . . .
. . Insects, Arachnids & Myriapods.

I haven't tried any, they're just too expensive. If I'm going to pay that much, there's other things to eat that are higher on my priority list.
New Not only chicken but also pork used to...
...taste of fish when I was a kid. Seems either farmers started feeding the critters less fish-based fodder, or the manufacturers came up with a way of not having the taste go through to the end result.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) still stupid - (lincoln) - (10)
         outbreak began when the handlers of the soon to be soup bats got infected not the soup eater -NT - (boxley)
         He's probably not entirely wrong. - (static) - (8)
             +6 balanced, clear--proving again that very few 'things' are ever Simple. ..decisions ..Decisions.. -NT - (Ashton)
             This is coming from a guy representing the state - (lincoln) - (6)
                 tastes like chicken -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                     I would test that premise . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         chicken tastes like alligator :-) although gator texture is better like you said -NT - (boxley)
                         OK let's get back to basics: more recipes for bugs-- - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Clovegarden has a section on bugs . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Not only chicken but also pork used to... - (CRConrad)

Whatever, it runs fine for now.
90 ms