IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A final couple of acquisition speculations: Keyboard and headset.
Having acquired a laptop[1], a screen[2] and a mouse[3], there's only two more things I need[4]: A keyboard and a headset, i.e. headphones with microphone. Can't quite decide if I need them to be wireless or if wired is OK, so any ideas welcome.

Hit me!

---

1: http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/431349/

2: http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/433012/

3: https://www.3dconnexion.eu/cadmouse_pro_wireless_left/eu/

4: AFAIK. At the moment.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: A final couple of acquisition speculations: Keyboard and headset.
I have this keyboard:

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-keyboards/g512-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

(you can turn the RGB off, but I really like it :D )

Can't help you with a mouse. Too personal. I have a Razer Taipan and am thinking of replacing it with a SteelSeries Sensei 310 - the Razer is a little small and I have huge hands.

Gaming gear, despite its occasionally lurid appearance and nomenclature, is often much better in day-to-day use than its po-faced "business" equivalents.
Expand Edited by pwhysall March 15, 2020, 04:36:54 AM EDT
New Can you make it monochrome, for a normal backlight?
I've become spoiled by laptops, so a backlight / "through-keys-light" is probably a must. But that gaudy display in the pic... Ugh. The LRB does that on bootup, but the she fortunately settles into monochrome. Oh, and does it have caps- and num-lock lights? That's the LRB's biggest failing; she doesn't. But, the gaudy blinkenlights are supposed to be programmable, so maybe I can get the Lock keys to light up in a different indicator colour according to state... Just haven't done anything about that yet. (Oh, and the weird endearing quirk of the otherwise Scandi-keys keyboard, just to show she's really German after all: The "End" key is labelled "Ende".)

Yeah, I looked at gaming mice too, and came this >.Tip / Recommendation for you: Look at that 3DConnex I got. It's available in both rightie and leftie versions, and quite big. I got it mainly for the leftyness, but also thought I'd like how big it is; I've always preferred somewhat bigger over smaller mouses. This thing, though, is if anything perhaps a smidgeon too big for my about-average-sized-I-guess hands. Fortunately not by much, so I think and hope I'm getting used to it. It's solidly built, feels robust as heck, and has a lot of special driver-thingies (mostly for CAD software, but I think office stuff too; haven't tried any of it) included. Connectivity BT / USB wireless dongle / micro-USB (also for charging), so can be used tethered with radios off. All in all pretty great, and at a guess even more so for your bigger mitts. I got the impression 3DConnexion is a spin-out from Logitech, and at the upper end of that... Biggest annoyance is pretty tiny: Nowhere to keep the USB radio dongle, no compartment either in the mouse itself not in the otherwise fancy zippered case. As JerryP would have said: Recommended.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Yes. Any colour you like, or no colour at all.
New Query, then..
Props for the precision also accuracy of this quandary which I express as, the Search for an Original IBM-grade Keyboard: with its unerring 'feel of completion-of-stroke' at price of bulk and alas, absence of such now-universal fucction key-assignment

I have an annoying Logi- K-811 (the '10' but aimed at OS X) which does many things seamlessy BUT, while there is a weak over-center-toggle: it does-Not correspond with success!--actual keystroke-landed, unless hit rather hard for this One's expectations: thus multiplying My?/Their? fucking-Typos unto distraction. In other words, there's no 'flow' twixt one's stuff to be entered and ... that one-finger-typing process wherein each key is hit as-if it were rilly-dumb. And who can type well ..That way?

I can stand a bigger gadget, but it must indeed have the (in this case: even room-light aware) key illumination; I too would pay-for Color-assigned keys like the bloody caps-lock-in-Red: I just disabled its function--it is so maddeningly adjacent to several popular keys; w.t.f. Needs to regularly do ALL-CAPS? (except Mad-men).

I'd put up with the pukka, clean IBM /noise were it capable of retro-fitting--short of soldering-up boards to emulate what's missing re Function assets--but that would be a job for still-around? BYTE-creative types, not moi. If I'm missing perhaps.. some KB you've encountered which handles what the K-811 does OK, I'm all ears. I'm about to make-room for the pair, expanding desk-part of my otherwise nicely-small Station == iMac ancillaries.
Blu-tooth 811 means: handiest would be a sturdy-support floating just above/behind the IBM. (No, a hovering robo-copter is just too noisy).

No reply needed unless there's something out there I missed, but you didn't. :-)
New There's any number of people doing USB model Ms (and conversion kits)
New Here you go
https://www.pckeyboard.com/

Brand new buckling-spring Model Ms with USB connectivity.
New Ah... its already an industry--thanks much--small one has the Goods/OS X. qwertyuiop
New There seems to be a rush of mechanical keyboards.
I have a KeyChron (crowdfunded) but am not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. I suspect the key travel is a bit too high. Or the keys have too much horizontal play.

www.keychron.com

The keyboard I actually really like is the Happy Hacking Keyboard, but I can appreciate that this might not be a suitable thing for all people. It is a very high quality membrane keyboard. I have an older one that is USB and has arrow keys, but they've recently revamped them and it is now Bluetooth by default.

https://happyhackingkb.com/

There was also a quite entertaining video made by Linus Sebastian (Youtube channel: Linus Tech Tips) where he reviewed about a half-dozen cheap mechanical switch keyboards all from China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupP1rS4MLw

Wade.
New The HH keyboard seems to be...
...incomplete. Where's the cursor keys? We're not all vi-using throwbacks writing leaky C code!

Seriously. It's a membrane keyboard with a third of the keys missing.

And holy fuck it's nearly £200?

GTFO, Wade :D
Expand Edited by pwhysall March 17, 2020, 02:39:28 AM EDT
New The HH keyboard is tougher than you think.
Besides, people usually choose it for the layout, not the key technology.

And like I said, I have an older version that has arrow keys. Hopefully they'll add that to a new version soon enough!

Wade.
     A final couple of acquisition speculations: Keyboard and headset. - (CRConrad) - (10)
         Re: A final couple of acquisition speculations: Keyboard and headset. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Can you make it monochrome, for a normal backlight? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Yes. Any colour you like, or no colour at all. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Query, then.. - (Ashton) - (3)
             There's any number of people doing USB model Ms (and conversion kits) -NT - (pwhysall)
             Here you go - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Ah... its already an industry--thanks much--small one has the Goods/OS X. qwertyuiop -NT - (Ashton)
         There seems to be a rush of mechanical keyboards. - (static) - (2)
             The HH keyboard seems to be... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 The HH keyboard is tougher than you think. - (static)

Where the decent people won’t see what you’re up to.
107 ms