IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New She's reconsidered.
When I asked explicitly if she would vote for Biden in November she sighed and said, "I suppose I'll have to. It won't make any difference here though." So, she'll perhaps end up voting in her second Presidential election next Fall.

With regard to 2016 being her first, my sense is that she was singularly disinterested in politics until then. She is a clinician and has seen firsthand the horrors of our current medical delivery system for decades. Bernie's push for Medicare for All (along with her adult daughters pushing her) is what finally drew her out. Like most of her fellow physicians and Nurse Practitioners who aren't in it strictly for the boats, ski trips and country club memberships, she's long recognized that the only sane healthcare delivery system involves a national program, with, optionally, supplemental private insurance for things like breast augmentations, face lifts, botox injections and so forth.

Also, too, we were fortunate enough to be able to pay out of pocket for our two daughters undergraduate educations and were astounded at that expense, despite both of them attending state universities (albeit one out of state). The total we spent was upwards of $200,000. I believe that experience, too, coupled with Bernie's call for tuition-free state colleges and universities induced her to vote. Her first medically related degree was an Associates in Applied Science in Nursing; sufficient for her to become a board certified licensed Register Nurse (an R.N.). The total cost of tuition for her to earn that R.N. in two years? $72.00. Her Bachelor's in Nursing subsequent to that cost an additional $1,760.

There's an old adage that parents want better for their children. She and I want at least as much for our children as we had. Bernie is and was the only candidate arguing for policies that would allow the spousette and me to achieve our desire for our kids. I think that, more than anything else, is why she finally decided to vote.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt March 9, 2020, 03:45:32 PM EDT
Expand Edited by mmoffitt March 9, 2020, 03:46:22 PM EDT
New I can call the spirits from the vasty deep!
“Why, so can I, or so can any man; but will they come, when you do call for them?”

coupled with Bernie's call for tuition-free state colleges and universities
An admirable goal, but has he ever outlined how, by presidential fiat or decree, he will bring this about? If he directs the University of California to henceforth charge no tuition*, the Regents will tell him to go pound sand. If he says “$14K for a year at Berkeley puts an education out of reach for many young people, so we will issue vouchers for that amount to any matriculating freshman,” the Regents will respond “Cool! Did we mention that next this fall’s tuition* is going up to $28K?”

I’ve previously mentioned the signs seen locally—presumably the work of an enthusiastic freelancer, and not the campaign itself—touting free healthcare, free tuition, forgiveness of student loan debt. Yay and woo to all, but by what magic, please, will President Sanders conjure these up? Were ideals and aspirations the sole deciding factors, I’d view candidate Sanders with a less jaundiced eye, but I’m also taking into account considerations of temperament (I don’t know how you regarded his post-convention performance in 2016, but I saw a cranky back-bencher extending a grudging, sour-spirited, decidedly pro forma support to his rival) and, frankly, electability. I think he would have been eviscerated four years ago, and might fare even worse this year. Certainly my own spouse’s predictions that the guy would turn out the Youngs in overwhelming numbers and coast to victory thereupon have not been borne out so far (the youth vote is down this year vs. 2016), but then again, though I love her dearly, L does not possess the level of granular political savvy that God gave a goose.

Uncle Joe warnt my first choice, but he’ll do in a pinch. President Sanders’ supporters will be disappointed when he fails to deliver utopia; President Biden’s supporters, to the extent that they imagine he will return us to “normalcy,” will also be let down: there’s no going back to the pre-Trump era. The country’s trajectory has been forever altered, and Trump may justly claim, if he lives to retirement, to have conducted a “transformative” presidency, rather in the sense that smallpox can be a transformative disease. We will bear the scars on our collective visage for a long time. So yes, Biden is an imperfect vessel, but I do not believe that he is an evil man, and a relatively benign, avuncular character will, I think, appeal to a broad swath of the populace exhausted by the antics of the barking mad despot presently in residence at the end of Pennsylvania Avenue. I doubt whether Sanders could achieve his grand goals; I have some confidence that Biden can provide a respite. And if we are serious about the kind of changes Sanders and Warren represent, the Democrats had damned well better shed the habit of letting the grass grow under their feet between elections, and should begin preparing for a new generation of political leadership for the rest of the decade.

About college expenses: I’ve probably related here how, owing to a miscommunication with the mothership, I arrived at college under the impression that I would be subsidized from home, whereas my old man apparently thought he’d made it clear that having fed, clothed and housed me for eighteen years, he’d done all that conscience required. This led to me going into significant arrears with the U of C, one of a cluster of reasons, including a deficit in academic performance, behind their decision to ask me to leave. Well, following a lengthy period in which I variously couch-surfed and was homeless outright, albeit discreetly, I talked my way back in, two years behind schedule, and until 1976 washed dishes on campus twenty hours a week, supplemented by summer jobs (canneries, car washes), and made it to graduation with about a hundred dollars to my name, and no debt, student or otherwise, whatsoever. This was not because I was particularly virtuous or thrifty, but because UC tuition* was about $1200 per annum in that era (an off-campus room could be had for between forty and seventy-five dollars a month), and between my dishwashing wages and a modest $50/month scholarship, I was able to cover my expenses.

Dishwashing wages at UC have not kept pace with tuition*, textbooks, lodging and related costs, they tell me. I would think it’s impossible for any freshman who finds himself in the position I did half a century ago could get through college without a crushing burden of debt. Good on you two for taking care of your daughters.

cordially,

*The University of California once prided itself on offering a free education to all academically-qualifying California students. Indeed, tuition was forbidden under the terms of the institution’s very charter. When Governor Reagan (spits), who had been elected on a platform clearly hinting at punitive measures to be visited upon “rioting students” and “permissive professors,” moved to impose “tuition,” this was pointed out to him. Nichto problemo: I don’t know whether the charter has ever been amended, but beginning in the latter sixties, UC, still tuition-free, began imposing “academic fees”: problem solved!
New GI bill is still available so there is a model to provide schooling for public service
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New So, your message to following generations is, "I got mine. Too bad for you" then?
So, you'd classify the 1970's as an era of Utopia then? We *used* to make an education affordable, but hey, you and I are finished, so to suggest that subsequent generations should enjoy the same benefits we did is simply impossible and/or Utopian fantasy?

I've recently been thinking about this a bit. I've come to realize that the nut of the problem is that Republicans and like-minded Democrats (think Clinton and Obama - and likely the next Democratic Presidential nominee) are actually better for American Capitalism than anyone with a conscience. A Capitalist Society naturally polarizes wealth. It naturally trivializes the lives of anyone not in the Capitalist class. American Lefties say, "The system is broken." Senator Warren is a lot more honest when she says, "The system is rigged." Of course it is. The rigging is by design. It is part and parcel of any Capitalist system. The fact that the three wealthiest Americans possess more wealth than the bottom 50% of Americans isn't a design flaw - it is a realization of the predicted results. So, in one sense, I agree with you. Within a Capitalist system, each and every generation of non-Capitalist class people does far worse than the previous. That is how it is supposed to work and is what you can point to as proof of our inability to provide tuition-free educations at State colleges and Universities. We cannot do that because our Capitalist system has evolved beyond that stage.

I say we can do that, but only if we are willing to knee-cap the Capitalists.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Most-all agreed ..in Calif. pre-Ronnie: it Was a Fiesta for *cheap* Edjumacacion.
(Even moi's Institute-fees were pocket-change, almost..) Then. But along came an über-Grifter and 'Proposition 13' on ballot: which greatly slashed TAXES paid on nascent *home-owners/buyers--it passed with Huzzah!!s from the MIddle-class enroute --> $$$Success. It's still Here. Etc. Free-money for the already-'insulated' with garish costumery to hide its real guts. Straight from the Reptile-brain.

* I cannot omit the fact that its timing allowed moi a just-under 4X ROI on selling a 3-story mini-Manse in the Kensington Hills.. some ~6 years later. Via such--and via my I Hate Shopping/it's Pavlov's dog all-over-again mien--I was able to create a lateral arabesque from my sinecure {sob: which I also 'Loved' daily) ... thence: Own my own time 24/7. (Well.. until whatever {Next -->?} brings upon us all.

(Methiks that Bernie's Reptile-offshoot: easy irascibility?, his temeperament) far ickier than Elizabeth's cool Fact-recounting ... is the main Tragedy of 'The Commons' writ large. Biden, should he iffily-squeak-in, just might wear himself out; pity that Biden/Warren is so not-apt to happen: it Could .. have cleared the way for Much. (Esp. if Biden simply opts out later, leaving the divine-smart term-filler I Wanted In. She Would be elected, and if B. drops in two years(?) ... Two Terms AND: Climate Awareness ever. fucking. Day.

Yeah.. Dream --> On; this is still a shit-hole banana 'republic', with garish grease-paint hiding its Picture of Dorian Gray decayed-interior to devastate anything in sight.

I want a pony.
New trying to clean the wrong end of the pool, go to the hershey bar side
https://campustechnology.com/articles/2017/08/09/research-whos-worth-more-the-administrator-or-the-professor.aspx
Should an average salary for full professors of $102,402 be considered low compared to an average salary of $334,617 for college and university presidents and $202,048 for chief financial officers? Should institutions be concerned that the ratio of faculty and staff positions per administrator dropped from 3.5 in 1990 to 2.2 in 2012? Those are the kinds of questions posed by a new report from the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) that encourages college leaders to contain and even cut administrative spending.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: So, your message to following generations is, "I got mine. Too bad for you" then?
I reread my post in order to see whether it could have lent itself to this interpretation. I suppose it could have, since you so construed it, but for the life of me I can’t see how.

cordially,
New It's muddy..
(Even) moi be Rich! ...compared with half the U.S. population unable to get together 4 C-Notes.
(More examples of how few can grok 'the exponential equation, emotionally'?)

Innit alll about one's environment? I be amidst those on the $$$-escalator, having moved in well before KW was discovered to be well away from ~'Cities?'. You are amidst the entire Gaussian, from impoverished-long-term, unto 'my every Wish may be gratified, in a trice'. Hmmm maybe neither of us fits into any demographic, other than for gossip purposes.
     Warren Out. - (mmoffitt) - (31)
         Of course she will endorse Bernnie - (Andrew Grygus)
         Indeed! Why not endorse the candidate who is guaranteed to lose! - (pwhysall) - (15)
             You got it! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Biden has no chance. We'll have Trump for 4 more years. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                 I'm not sure of your point. - (pwhysall) - (12)
                     Biden won *The South* FFS. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                         Everyone supports the NHS over here - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             It's difficult to argue with that. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Re: It's difficult to argue with that. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     But not difficult to argue with that. - (mmoffitt)
                         Voters in primaries != voters in election. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                             Michigan decided that Biden has the best chance to beat Trump. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                 If you run a Republican against a Republican, a Republican will win every time. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                     And if you run a Democrat against a Republican but "progressives" won't vote for him...? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         The Progressives aren't the problem - (scoenye)
                                         Perhaps I was too subtle. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             No, you weren't. But you're far too fucking cock-sure of yourself. - (CRConrad)
         Seen elsewhere, anent the Sanders campaign: - (rcareaga)
         Re: Warren Out. - (rcareaga) - (12)
             I don't think I'll sit it out. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                 out of curiosity - (rcareaga) - (10)
                     why people vote or not - (boxley)
                     A variation in C#-Minor re this: an early start on culling voters--on steroids: - (Ashton)
                     She's reconsidered. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                         I can call the spirits from the vasty deep! - (rcareaga) - (6)
                             GI bill is still available so there is a model to provide schooling for public service -NT - (boxley)
                             So, your message to following generations is, "I got mine. Too bad for you" then? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 Most-all agreed ..in Calif. pre-Ronnie: it Was a Fiesta for *cheap* Edjumacacion. - (Ashton)
                                 trying to clean the wrong end of the pool, go to the hershey bar side - (boxley)
                                 Re: So, your message to following generations is, "I got mine. Too bad for you" then? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     It's muddy.. - (Ashton)

Accountancy is more strict in its rejection of divine intervention than science is.
138 ms