IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No
Lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) lives along the west coast of North America from the Mexican border through the Aleutian Islands. It is not a Ling, nor a Cod, and is not closely related to any other fish genus.

Ling (Molva molva) is strictly a North Atlantic fish, from Spain to within the Arctic Circle, from Nova Scotia to the Arctic Circle, and along the southern coast of Greenland.
New Could still be as the BOx says, that *the name* is related?
Like, if those Scandinavian-Alaskans -- presumably more familiar with the ling than the average English-speaker around them -- thought "this looks a bit like a cod, and a bit like a ling, so..." Dunno how much of an effect they could have had on the English name, but perhaps?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New They are both rather elongated fish . . .
. . and they live in similar environments. It would be natural for people familiar with the Atlantic Ling to make the association when they encountered the Pacific fish, which is a bit stubbier, thus the added "cod" part.
New Yup: The Pacific one, "elongatus"... While ling -- m. molva -- is "Långa" in Swedish. As in "Longa".
New thanks for the knowledge
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Oh sure, *that* you believe
--

Drew
New it is sourced properly
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Surstromming - Yes, I did it - I had to do it. - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
         Jeez, and I thought lutefisk was different. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             I haven't done lutefisk yet - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 That's not a recipe - (drook)
         wonder how different it is from stinkheads, fermented alaska salmon heads -NT - (boxley)
         That stuff is banned from passenger jet cabins on 4 airlines - (malraux)
         Lutfisk, properly watered-out, is pretty much nothing compared to surströmming. - (CRConrad) - (9)
             Thanks for your input. - (Andrew Grygus)
             now that is interesting, In alaska we have a fish called ling cod as distinct from cod - (boxley) - (7)
                 No - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     Could still be as the BOx says, that *the name* is related? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         They are both rather elongated fish . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Yup: The Pacific one, "elongatus"... While ling -- m. molva -- is "Långa" in Swedish. As in "Longa". -NT - (CRConrad)
                     thanks for the knowledge -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         Oh sure, *that* you believe -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             it is sourced properly -NT - (boxley)

She turned me into a NEWT!
76 ms