IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My stupid bosses don’t remember me
Sigh. Why indeed ought they? The management turnover, compared to former decades, could spin a dynamo.

The other day I was reviewing the contents of a hard disk upon which I parked the last eight or nine years of work product before I retired in 2017. At one time I imagined that BrainDead Systems, once they’d pushed me out, would eventually come to appreciate my work. I readily admit that in this I was wrong: I’m not even remembered two years later. But looking over my work, I, at any rate, am impressed at the range and ingenuity of my portfolio. I’ve looked in on the workplace now and then, and my spies have made me privy to categories of graphics that in happier times would have been laid on my plate: can you say “Microsoft clip art”?

I don’t miss the former employer, but I do sometimes miss doing useful work. BDS/SF now produces presentations, announcements, flyers, posters that uniformly look like shite, and no one knows the difference. By god, I brought some style to the organization, however transiently, and I don’t mind proclaiming that I’m proud of all those pearls I scattered into the sty. Minor example (the sort of thing I could work up on half a day’s notice) linked here.

cordially,
New I mean no disrespect.
But your lamentation that you "miss doing useful work" begs the question, "If it was truly useful, how then is it forgotten in a mere two years?" I've long held that spending one's working life doing *anything* with computers is largely a waste if one is interested in having that work survive for five years or more. Virtually all work done on computers is of no use whatever within five years. So, don't take it personally, the fact that you worked with computers destined your work to be of only transient interest to anyone.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New true dat
Almost everything I did was of transient interest and transient utility, although the small book I wrote and designed about the historic Flatline Building is likely to remain the definitive work on the subject. For the rest, indeed, as I prepared to jump ship in 2017 (by which time water was lapping over the gunwales), I discarded close to seven hundred 3.5" floppies representing around fifteen years of work going back to 1987. The content was none of it relevant, and most of it unreadable by modern equipment.

cordially,
New I ƒeare that, at core thou hast been victim of a timeless koan (in all countries)
The casting of Pearls before the Swinish.

(No not nearly all..) just the grandfathered-in overpaid who 'Direct': oft they know not What, but fake-it.)
Similarly? the guy throwing a body-block, tripping some nuns in a cross-walk--he thought the guy pointing a walking-stick at them and jabbering ... was holding a narsty projectile-equipped thing. HIs action, explained ..brought some appreciation but ..all those sore-knees, etc.
(I cannot vouch absolutely for this tale; it was pre-Snopes)
     My stupid bosses don’t remember me - (rcareaga) - (3)
         I mean no disrespect. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             true dat - (rcareaga)
         I ƒeare that, at core thou hast been victim of a timeless koan (in all countries) - (Ashton)

The only time I forgot to breathe I was on LSD, codiene, sangria, and whippets.
61 ms