PS: CNN has caught-up with NYT, others: the Optics here fully complement the incisive prose ... and 'floating' factoids.. They now CAN commit Journalism, I wot.

The Borneo coverage makes clear that CONSUMERS are the Match lighting such fires , not just in Brazil--but on every commercial air flight, etc. It's the perfect-memorial to Walt Kelly's famous epitaph a near-century ago: We have found the enemy and it is us.

Between August and October, the fires released 626 megatons of CO2, according to European Commission data -- more than the entire annual output of Australia.

..So we WANT that Palm Oil for chocolate, shampoos, etc. And as to any enforcement of curtailing self-immolation (?) ... Collectively we haven't given The U.N. the Means for dragging before a Serious-court the likes of Bolsonaro and Drumpf and Petroleum-disinformation CIEIOS (still spending billions for agitprop).

If anyone has an answer to, that level of premeditated pig-ignorance and its flame-thrower: premeditated War on Truthiness: do get it Out There, because the inertia of homo-sap, the credulity of the masses and the immanent greed of Kapitalismo is winnng, never so evidently as Black Friday and the run-up to the Stuff-feasts just begun (to the tune of that long-ago ditty wherein ..Jingle Bells is played on a ka-Ching cash register).

[And THANKS-again, Greta T] you--solo--have done more to rub-noses in our sloth than any single boffin, all-of-'Science' and related ... YET! And still:: [not-'I'] We, They Sleep, surrounded by the webified fridges, talking spy-machines we welcome into homes ... all of which Screams: FUCK-YOU, my little cheeldrun!! We don't give a shit about anything beyond the next-quarter (and any remaining CCard that ain't yet maxxed out).

Ah well, I plan to Have a Nice Day; I'll be leaving the Bedlam likely before the irreversible-Tipping-Point strikes and the massed-Ć’eare reduces the 'IQ' of vox populi to 66.6, with predictable result. Klaatu was right: but in ~1951 his threat "of reducing the planet to a burnt cinder" IF we continued with atomic weapons.. 'woke' a few attendees. But just for the duration of the movie. (Maybe in the Wayback-web? exists a copy of the bitchin website on TDTESS/The Day the Earth Stood Still--they did a fair job of putting the flic into contexts of all kinds.
..Maybe if we ARM the kiddies? the Carrion won't smell as bad; it could be a Glorious war, yathink?