IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New “Oh, for a muse of AI-re”
The most fascinating part of House’s report deals with his idea of asking the robot the same questions that George Plimpton asked Ernest Hemingway in his famous Paris Review interview in 1958. In reply to the question whether it remembered the exact moment when it decided to be a writer, it replied: “I don’t remember ever wanting not to be a writer. Writing had always been my way out. My escape. When I was a little kid, my sister was always coming home from school with homework assignments and I knew if I got hers and mine done early I could spend the next day’s lunch hour looking at books. It was the first time that I actually thought that being a writer might happen.”

And when asked what it did when it got stuck, it replied: “It’s hard to say, but I would say that it would be better not to have a muse at all, to do all that writing you think is going to be good without any conscious control over what you do. It’s better to be totally in charge of your own actions.”

At this point, the reader gets the eerie uncanny valley feeling: this is almost, but not quite, authentic. But the technology is getting there. Why, any day now it’ll be writing newspaper columns.
I’m not sure that three or four decades ago anyone imagined that utterly non-sentient automated systems would be able to ace the Turing test, but this appears incrementally to be happening. I still maintain that one day these technologies will creep across the boundary of something resembling actual “consciousness” at some significant interval before we become aware of it. Story here.

cordially,
New "... some significant interval ..."
So, for the machines, about a minute-and-a-half.
--

Drew
New Et tu, Brute?
Omitted from all the AI patter extant (of which I have peeped a minuscule %) is that hoary concept--so rarely Seen 'Live', and then ... perceived generations later:
Wisdom.

..To date we have: wisdom-teeth, wiseacres, witlessness ... nailed. Imagining some Boolean kluge as. could. even. ~~'define' Wisdom, is well beyond my (unPaid)-Grade.
(Shirley beyond 'evanescent' lies ..the Ineffable? (Even less is stood-under/understood re That concept).

A.E. maybe said it briefest, re those "shiny objects we peruse" thence--only in Him--cameth Relativity.. The Odds for the rest of us haven't moved off of 1/0
since I've been around.

Now.. a robot beating everyone at Golf? eezy peasy (with enough environmental sensors to choke a hoarse.)
New Was thinking about that during dinner last night
We were having Chinese. It occurred to me that robot controls have the dexterity to feed me, but let's see a robot hand pick up a peanut covered in sauce using chopsticks.
--

Drew
New here ya go
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Close-ish
They're attached to the hands, that's a huge cheat. But yeah, props for working on it.
--

Drew
     “Oh, for a muse of AI-re” - (rcareaga) - (5)
         "... some significant interval ..." - (drook)
         Et tu, Brute? - (Ashton) - (3)
             Was thinking about that during dinner last night - (drook) - (2)
                 here ya go - (boxley) - (1)
                     Close-ish - (drook)

Per nostra Pentium Quatro cum 2 gigahertzum e bus de cuatrocentum megahertzum...
Deo Gratie...
Per nostros Quinientum Doce megabaitum de RAMus...
Deo Gratie...
Per nostra GeForsum Duo Mu Omega cum centum ventiocho megabytum de memoria Delta Delta Rho...
Deo Gratie...
E por nostro casum de aluminum con sweetum modus e infinitum blinkenlightenus...
Amen
41 ms