IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Avoid multiboot. It's a pain.
Unless you have a pressing reason to run Linux natively, you're better off running it in a Hyper-V prison. If Hyper-V doesn't float your boat, there's always Virtualbox.

You can also run multiple VMs at once, and this is the "getting shit done, instead of getting your nerd on" way to do it.
New Hmm. Other voices to agree or disagree with Peter?
New I do agree.
But my host is Linux and I use VirtualBox for Winders 10 Pro/VS 2019/etc. Both at work and at home. No issues at all.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Oct. 22, 2019, 01:49:29 PM EDT
New As usual, it depends on whay you want to do.
Finally being able to have more than 4 partitions on a drive has taken a lot of the hassle out of dual boot installations. And you don't incur the double hit of having to pay for a retail Windows license.

I kept the native Windows install mainly because the proprietary NVidia driver for Linux occasionally ties the GPU in knots it can't undo.

VMs can have issues with pass through (as you ran into with your earlier VB experiment) and then it depends on your hardware and the drivers available for a particular hypervisor.

(And with VirtualBox, watch out for the Extension Pack)
New Grafix should be OK, no NVidia.
Uses the integrated Intel UHD 630, AIUI. Yeah, everybody says it's shit for gaming, compared to NVidias and Radeons -- but I don't give a flying fuck. Not into that. I saw somewhere that it can drive not just one but two 4K displays; good enough for me. Acres to code and lay out UIs on.

Ah, typical fucking Oracle. Yeah, this last experiment popped up a message about that Extension Pack stuff. Could be that I never had that installed properly, as this was on that locked-down work box I mentioned elsewhere. Earlier, playing around with Debian on my 2011 T510 years ago (pre-SystemD), it worked better IIRC.

Gotta check my Windows license, but as it came with the box (laptop, not Virtual or Oxley), I suspect it's "OEM" as opposed to "retail".

Thanks again!
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Adding (at least) Linux onto a Windows laptop(1). How??? - (CRConrad) - (15)
         if you have wintel 10 you need a pro license to do hypervisory stuff - (boxley) - (1)
             Yeah, I got W10 Pro. - (CRConrad)
         Got pigs on the roof? - (scoenye) - (1)
             Somewhat like I thought, somewhat not. Very useful. - (CRConrad)
         Avoid multiboot. It's a pain. - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Hmm. Other voices to agree or disagree with Peter? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 I do agree. - (mmoffitt)
                 As usual, it depends on whay you want to do. - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Grafix should be OK, no NVidia. - (CRConrad)
         Also, do you have a reason to avoid systemd, other than religion? - (pwhysall) - (5)
             For one thing, I'm an atheist... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 I finally had to install a SystemD Linux . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Devuan runs peachy. - (scoenye)
                 turn that ipv6 crap off -NT - (boxley)
                 +10 -NT - (mmoffitt)

I am the Eggman.
74 ms