At age 9 also 13 spent entire--oft *broiling--summers there, the first via train from the Oakland (Knoll?) the second via aeroplane. Walked all over (from Queens, a stone's throw) via the IND underground tram. The enviro was then "safe-enough" that both times I could make it to Central Park for the FREE Goldman band concerts--sometimes unto darkness, as well as wander about NYC. IIRC the tab for the Empire State vista was ~a couple bucks (which I saved for other follies), * recall sitting in bathtub some afternoons; A/C--what's That? My domicile in Queens, on Union Turnpike was a dagger's-toss from the site of Kitty Genovese's later horrific denouement: and marking of the first stone-cold-Evidence of the feckless inhumanity of ... 100% of a large population who failed-to-a-weasel: even to just lift the phone and call the fucking COPS.

On last peripatetic wanderings I espied in a bookshop downtown a huge pile of Mr. Rhodes' first magnum-opus, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb"; this while enroute to Connecticut re recently deceased relatives. (Saw nothing during train ride there), except some of the best science-scribbling since Newton (arguably).

Oh/and: second tour had brought moi into nuclear physics when THAT first atomic bomb opened [oblivion] as a real-possibility ... next ... via this same species' soulless treatment of the doomed-via-ennui Kitty G. ('Course it needed maturing to make this equivalence) ..as I gathered information about the Real-murica (with no truthiness-assistance from any 'History'-courses-via-'schoolz').

tl;dr Wherever you go --->There You are.

oTpy