IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Latest Try-Linux gizmo, (maybe relevant to a "He's Dead, Jim" recent iMac event)
Hawked at euphoric newbie-level.

But one wonders--when experiencing a bizarre form of 'crippled in n-ways' symptoms--whether this can be a means, at least for verifying that the hardware is (still) untroubled ... and like *that. Otherwise seems just another Thumb-drive thingie (?)

* AS IN:
(Recently experienced iMac symptoms) of the ilk: **Bluetooth, keyboard inputs iffy, other oddities thence.. dead.
** like: v.slow response in re-connecting, "PAN" missing--then none--then more Iffy-states.
Reloaded, auto-restored apps but mouse-itself! was next en delicto flagrante. aka WEIRDness rampant.

(Recall that, after any Doze patch, it took not One but Three reboots) to achieve success--or Fact: its really (still) broken.
It took FIVE reboots on this early-'09 iMac (there were odd low-level beeps accompanying some of above, possibly clueful to the entirely-ept) ...
Just now it is Normal... two days after.

BUT: While I had unplugged AC for a few minutes after each Button-commanded Kill: Successful reboot was after I left it unplugged while real liff went on ... for 10 min+
Next Reboot then restored all. It seems that the always-on circuitry had gotten a cosmic ray--it COULD be!--and my briefer delays weren't sufficient
for the capacitors in PS to become fully drained (my w.a.g.)

Carrion.. sometimes it's: writing out the exact sequence of weirdness.. before unplugging, schlepping off to Local Wizard;
thence: Magick happens. :-)
New ROFL
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Heh

• I had my ad-blockers turned up to 11 when I saw that the link was to a domain called "thiswentviral.net"

• I turned them up to 12 to visit "getxtra-pc.io"

• That comparison tho. That PC is running Vista. Vista. From 2006. Also, super scientific!

• It's nearly thirty fucking quid for a 16GB USB stick with Ubuntu on it. Given that they flog "faster" versions, I'm assuming that that means that if you want USB3, you're going to get rinsed for £40.

• And it's going ever so well for them on Trustpilot. Yes, these are reviews from people who clearly don't know what they're doing. But that's exactly Xtra-PC's target market, innit?

• Of course it doesn't fucking work on a Mac. Honesty is not a strong suit for these people.

• tl;dr: If you've got a PC, you can just buy a USB3 stick for six pounds and put Ubuntu on it. It's a little more work, but isn't difficult by any means, and it also has the advantage of not having to send your computer through domains such as "l.fastloading.co". Making a live USB stick for a Mac is a bit more involved, but still not rocket brainery.

TBH, I prefer to troubleshoot the problem with the operating system I intend to use. I have found situations in the past where Linux is fine, because reasons, and Windows isn't, because other reasons, and vice versa.

Macs are tricky, because their sealed, essentially disposable nature means you can't readily swap parts out to prove them, but I'd still be inclined to use macOS to do the troubleshooting, simply because it's the one OS that is guaranteed to be able to see and understand all the hardware in the machine, especially given Apple's predilection for Apple-special parts.

ttll;ddrr - don't give these shysters any money. There are better ways of achieving the same outcome.
    New Still a good product idea though
    The execution may suck, and the advertising clearly overstates it, but the target market is not going to download and make their own.
    --

Drew
    New Ordering it? had no such intention.. just a 'sample'-by-chance (seen ex-post-facto)
    [EE hat-on] Until I hear a classier diagnosis: the beeps/other noises signalled even-moi that, this was: irregularly-irregular, indubitably signalled much-moar than 'an App gone all Orange'. That the usually rock-solid 'Coldish' re-boot' failed to cure made more evident that [The OS] itself was-STILL-bollixed despite: all experience of the Niceness of the "Save a mirror/regularly"--built. in.

Thus, whatever 'caused' the Colonel er. kernel to self-destruct, short of Colonel-panic: WAS not found/Noticed by the almost-bulletproof loading of that Image, STILL after thrice attempts: It ain't magic, but guts-level 'lectronics as seemed cause the clusterfuck. My mere/brief Cold-shutdown was Not Enough. (I should have unplugged for 10+ minutes in first place, but s l o w learner sometimes).

Capacitors store charges for t = a ƒ(the hi-Ω value) bleeder resistors decided on design. I know not just What-items on the mobo are Always Live (only presumably.. deadened via the unplug "for a trice"). I wonder if anyone here knows enough re the Electronics-within that mobo: just What is the e- diagram, the logical-flow-chart? of the Always-On pieces of this proprietary design, whose full schematic shall never reach our eye-pans. Anyway, my diagnosis fits the above; it worked and I see no cubic-closest-packed SImpler one; does anyone else?

tll;drr--unless it proves an intermittent-Thing--{worst-case for All troubleshooting, evah}--whence I get to really Test the postulate: it's a oddly-flaky component in AlwaysOn stuff or a fucking Cosmic-Ray Strike, for my money..

And I am unanimous in that. (Today) ..so if you Crash-off yer ailing iMac for whatever reason -- w a i t 10 -- make it fifteen even, if you want to cover all bases; Evidence! ... 1 datum. :-þ
    Expand Edited by Ashton Sept. 5, 2019, 07:17:16 PM EDT
    New J's iMac died at work.
    It has the symptoms of the CMOS battery being dead, or the graphics card failing. (She was able to order a faster replacement.)

She's still holding on to the dead one. Trouble is, getting at either the battery or graphics card basically means disassembling the whole thing. So, it's been on the "I'll get to it when I finish the other 30 things on my list" list.

Computers are pretty deterministic, at least on boot-up. If they can't get through that, then it's usually the CMOS battery, graphics card, and very rarely something else hardware wise. IME.

Cheers,
    Scott.
    New Good luck with that.
    Ever since the sole access to anything other than the RAM slots entailed removing a screen with a replacement cost of £600+, held in position by some strong magnets, attached to the system board by a very fragile connector, I lost any enthusiasm I might have had for opening up an iMac.
         Latest Try-Linux gizmo, (maybe relevant to a "He's Dead, Jim" recent iMac event) - (Ashton) - (6)
             ROFL -NT - (boxley)
             Heh - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Still a good product idea though - (drook)
                 Ordering it? had no such intention.. just a 'sample'-by-chance (seen ex-post-facto) - (Ashton) - (2)
                     J's iMac died at work. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Good luck with that. - (pwhysall)

He clearly said, "To blave".
    61 ms