IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New was asked a technical question today
what are idracs and fibre cards and how often are they patched.
I explained they are specific hardware related things that are patched by the vendor supplying firmware updates.

next email is a rocket to our supremeleader complaining that it is not being patched on a regular basis and demanding that they get patched today and regularly

gotta luv it
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Ask him how often he patches his TV.
Or car. Or microwave. Or fridge. Or washing machine.

They all have micro-controllers nowadays and theoretically could need patching. :-)

Wade.
New a her, not that it matters
New I have 2 different brands of flat panel TVs
and they have numerous apps on them like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Several times a year when starting one I'll see the message: "There is a newer version of this app. Do you want to launch it?" I always tab over to Cancel. After 3 or 4 times of this message appearing it AUTOMATICALLY runs the update, and you can't stop it or do anything on the TV until it finishes.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New That's an app update.
I meant the OS in the firmware. Several major manufacturers of smart TVs don't keep their products OS anywhere near up-to-date.

Or the update is like doing a system reset - my brother-in-law's TV has an OS update due, but it would wipe all recorded programs to do so. Not really an option with 3-year old twins and most recorded shows are kids programs.

Wade.
New I'll agree
I can't remember ever having the TVs display a message saying that the OS wants to update itself. Then again. there should be very little cause for it to need to.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New regularly != frequently
Do it once every five years. Re-apply the last version of available firmware if no new version available.

Mission accomplished.
New they are demanding twice monthly one for test one for prod
New Job security :-/
     was asked a technical question today - (boxley) - (8)
         Ask him how often he patches his TV. - (static) - (4)
             a her, not that it matters -NT - (boxley)
             I have 2 different brands of flat panel TVs - (lincoln) - (2)
                 That's an app update. - (static) - (1)
                     I'll agree - (lincoln)
         regularly != frequently - (pwhysall) - (2)
             they are demanding twice monthly one for test one for prod -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Job security :-/ -NT - (scoenye)

It's like there's nothing you can do about that joke. It's coming and you just have to stand there.
67 ms