IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Agree with pulling the logic into a cursor
Sql sucks for that type of logic.

Far better to write some clean understandable code than torture sql to do it.
New can't do it in code
the subroutine calls the stored procedure, then builds an html representation of an Excel spreadsheet and binds the returned resultset to it.

I did what I wanted to avoid - use a cursor and insert the variables into a table variable. That way I can check the userid for each record returned from the query, then check the awardstatus fields to determine if they need modifying. My version of the stored proc takes about 1 second longer than the original. They'll just have to live with it.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New No clean way out without doing TBLUserProgramPlan over
Those columns smell as if something that should have been a set of values in a table was serialized instead.

Depending on the overall circumstances and permissions, could you build a function to tear it apart in to the necessary temp tables and use those to clean up the query in the current stored procedure?
New Agreed, that table structure gives me the willies
--

Drew
New that table has been around for years
so I've learned, and columns have been added to it since it was created. Plus numerous programs access it so I can't do anything to it (after all, I'm just a contractor, not an employee).

Even better, the woman who wrote most of the ASP.Net applications and designed all of the tables in the database over a 12 year period left a few months before I was brought in, and the guy who her responsibilities dumped on him is still learning how all of the apps work. It makes it tough to ask a question to someone who may not even have touched that program yet.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New (This sounds a lot like a metaphor for the 'post-Drumpf-Era'); savor the comparo, eh? ;^>
New I'm just savoring the *idea* of the 'post-Drumpf-Era'
--

Drew
     trying to avoid creating spaghetti code here - (lincoln) - (8)
         Agree with pulling the logic into a cursor - (crazy) - (6)
             can't do it in code - (lincoln) - (5)
                 No clean way out without doing TBLUserProgramPlan over - (scoenye) - (4)
                     Agreed, that table structure gives me the willies -NT - (drook) - (3)
                         that table has been around for years - (lincoln) - (2)
                             (This sounds a lot like a metaphor for the 'post-Drumpf-Era'); savor the comparo, eh? ;^> -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I'm just savoring the *idea* of the 'post-Drumpf-Era' -NT - (drook)
         I'd be tempted to see if I can do something with a sub-query. - (static)

You didn't need to share.
65 ms