An old comedy bit went something like this ...

200 years ago we were a nation of about six million people.
In that population we had the intellects of Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine and a whole host of others.
Today we are a nation of 250 million people and within it are the intellects of Ronald Reagan, Ed Meese, Jane Kilpatrick and William Bennett.
What do you make of that? I mean, other than the obvious, which is that Darwin was wrong.

Back in the 1980's one of my closest friends was an emergency room physician. He was fond of saying, "The sum of all IQ's on this planet is a constant." Increasingly I'm coming to the view that he was correct about that and this is why I remain unconvinced that the end of humanity would be a terrible thing.

But, I'll grant you that my opinion is jaded because I am an American. I live in a country where, incredibly, in the 21st century it still matters to a lot of my countrymen that the person they support for the highest office in this country has an invisible, imaginary, magical friend and that this friend is the same as theirs. Это некультурный!