IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd be impressed by a source like that..
And I don't pretend to have researched the sub-rosa activities of the ban. It may well have been so simple as,

Hey this stuff IS everywhere! and.. we don't know what that might portend (and we Know we don't know) so: ?what to do? I'd venture to guess though - that we still don't 'know' what are the overall effects of such proliferation of an artificial substance..

As with: all the brake-dust, tire-tread dust, aerosols and their carried substances. Not enough interest, nor $.

Was the DDT ban *more* about it being a no-profit commodity, than a possibly mistaken concern over proliferation??

Clearly the Drug Wars currently undermining many Constitutional principles - are akin to the former: Pharm Chem does *NOT* like natural, cheap, effective pain relievers - or, any Other kind of desirable untaxed substance. The Corp tax cannot be levied on tincture of Iodine, makes only peanuts on aspirin, etc.

Maybe your dad was right - will consider self updated but not.. surprised. Now... can we disband the Narcs, decriminalize (lots of stuff) and stop bein a bunch of Puritan busybodies, for gossipy fun and huge profit?

[Uh - No, I don't think we Can. Its so Murican a thing.]

A.
New It was...
Was the DDT ban *more* about it being a no-profit commodity, than a possibly mistaken concern over proliferation?

Yes.

When my Dad tells the story, he always laughs - and acts a bit cynical about it, but I always got the impression that that was the point that 'deflowered' him re: a career being a research chemist. It seemed to really disillusion him.

Now... can we disband the Narcs, decriminalize (lots of stuff) and stop bein a bunch of Puritan busybodies, for gossipy fun and huge profit?

Nah, our 'culture' has to evolve beyond sophomoric 'I know what's best for you' good intentions on the part of the people, and 'There's a sucker born every minute' on the part of our rulers (government/business).

Not in this lifetime.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Science News story on DDT
[link|http://www.sciencenews.org/20000701/bob2.asp|[link|http://www.sciencenews.org/20000701/bob2.asp|http://www.sciencen...701/bob2.asp]] is a story on DDT's use in controlling malaria, with a fairly balanced treatment.

[link|http://warrensburg.k12.mo.us/ew/ddt/matt.html|This] story says the WHO credits DDT with saving the lives of 25 million people in Europe in the 1940s. It also says that only 1 person is known to have died from DDT - they mistook DDT powder for flour and made pancakes...

Plusses and minuses like much of life....

Cheers,
Scott.
New *chuckle* OT, and waxing nostalgic...
Ah, dieldren - and let's not forget aldrin (No-Pest strips, Shell House & Garden sprays)... My old man was 'in' on those, too.

I remember my father choking with laughter during the 'ad campaign' against DDT (Silent Spring featured prominently there) when a talk-show host had a guest that mentioned an 'insecticide' that killed her father.

He recognized it. (I don't remember what it was - I was rather young)

It was illegal.

The farmer was spraying for CROWS, not insects.

I have more faith in my father's evaluation of our chemical lifestyle than you find in science news and journals (though he WAS a bit of a 'mad scientist', truth to tell... He 'insect-proofed' our house with his own noxious, unapproved brew along the foundations when it was being built - we've never had problems with bugs since... *grin*).

I still believe it's more business/politics than science.

Imric's Tips for Living

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New heard similar anecdotes re: asbestos
A local mall was shut down and refurbished due to asbestos insulation being discovered. I was there talking with one of the guys in the company that was doing the removal...don't really remember why I was there talking to him...

Don't know how true this is, but he was telling me that there's more asbestos in the air in one day in any busy city (from car and truck brakes and clutches primarily) than there would be in that mall in 10 years. He seemed to think it was mostly ridiculous, but didn't mind taking people's money to remove it. However, I do know of one famliy who lost their livelihood because the icecream store they owned in the mall was forced out of business due to the mall being shut down.
-----
Steve
New What's worse...
...is that it's harmless unless it's breathed...

How does it get into the air?

Through remediation!

Imric's Tips for Living

Cheney to Congress- "You want energy docs? Bite me." - (DonRichards) - (58)
         And he's right. - (bepatient) - (57)
             Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (56)
                 ya mean like floride? :) -NT - (boxley)
                 I know of lots of communities - (bepatient) - (54)
                     My, we ARE shrill, aren't we? - (jb4) - (53)
                         Do me a favor, then. - (addison)
                         Work is underway? - (wharris2)
                         ROFL - (bepatient) - (50)
                             know all I need to know about floride - (boxley)
                             Whoopdedoo yerself! - (jb4) - (18)
                                 At some point, it *always* comes down to economics. - (addison) - (9)
                                     Reading comprehension IS a skill - (jb4) - (8)
                                         ..That you're lacking. - (addison)
                                         So... - (bepatient) - (6)
                                             Like I said: Reading Comprehension IS a skill... - (jb4) - (5)
                                                 And then you posted - (wharris2)
                                                 And reality is a bitch - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                     I'm sure that *proves* that - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Further research... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             Will agree: no remedy for punctilious bureaucracy exists.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 And still... - (bepatient)
                                 Arsenic may not be all bad. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                     kfc secret ingredient as well as tobacco -NT - (boxley)
                                     Treated lumber - (admin)
                                     Have seen this, too - (jb4)
                                     BTW, I don't drink my deck! -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                                         Re: BTW, I don't drink my deck! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             No, No, and No - (jb4)
                             Hey BP, speakin of throwaway cant phrases du jour.. - (Ashton) - (29)
                                 No Ash... - (bepatient) - (25)
                                     Re: No Ash... - (Fearless Freep)
                                     I'll buy the As argument.. just a tiny bit. - (Ashton) - (21)
                                         what is the loss of life due to banning ddt? - (boxley) - (20)
                                             Precisely the kind of question which homo-sap mangles - (Ashton) - (19)
                                                 Pure indulgence? No. - (admin) - (8)
                                                     Of course! legitimate need for... 10% of them ? - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                         shoot if a bank was ever stupid enough to lend me money - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Sorry - Swedish Defence Research developed that in the 60's. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                 you rat bassard! - (boxley)
                                                     OK, then...Someone explain to me the Cadillac Esplanade... - (jb4) - (3)
                                                         market share of the navigator :) - (boxley)
                                                         Didn't say it wasn't. - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Nahhh... just the 90%. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Enviro-atrocities? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     WTF does "natural phenomenon" have to do with anything? - (CRConrad)
                                                 definition of envirowhore - (boxley)
                                                 Atrocities? Bah. - (imric) - (6)
                                                     I'd be impressed by a source like that.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                         It was... - (imric)
                                                         Science News story on DDT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             *chuckle* OT, and waxing nostalgic... - (imric) - (2)
                                                                 heard similar anecdotes re: asbestos - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                                     What's worse... - (imric)
                                     Re: No Ash... - (kelzer) - (1)
                                         Right. Life is an affliction ya don't get out of alive. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 blockquote... - (jb4) - (2)
                                     Thanks. That'll let me stop using <i>italics</i> :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Gracias, Oh Master of the thin blue line (vertical) -NT - (Ashton)

This is why I am in therapy.
149 ms