IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gorey’s work for Doubleday/Anchor
The late Edward Gorey used to keep body and soul together by working as a commercial illustrator, although I think that by the early seventies his little books had accumulated a following sufficient to keep him in groceries. During the previous decades he did a lot of work for Doubleday’s “Anchor” series of paperbacks. I have scores of these editions, including at least three dozen by Gorey, in my personal library. Unfortunately, and in contrast to other publishers’ volumes of like vintage, the glue binding the Anchor products to their spines appears particularly prone to brittleness with the passage of decades. Anyway, a sample of EG’s covers can be viewed here.

cordially,
New Are those all in your personal library?
Also, your mention of Gorey reminds me, now that you're a man of leisure what do you think about doing some illustration?

I believe I mentioned my collection before. I'd like to illustrate and publish.
--

Drew
New Re: Are those all in your personal library?
Not all of them, but quite a few: numbers 1-2, 8, 18, 24-27, 29, 32-33, 37, 43, 47, 55-58, 63-66, 69-71, 74, 77-78, 80, 83, 85, 87-89, 92.

As to illustration, alas, I’m an indifferent draughtsman. I wish it were otherwise, but while I think that much of my work product over the course of my alleged career holds up pretty well, it consisted largely of repurposing the work of real artists and/or photographers—rather like Max Ernst assembling collages or any number of contemporary musicians who rely on “sampling” (this is why I described myself as an “art director” rather than as an artist or even a designer, although my actual title was laughably corporate Newspeak). I don’t imagine that’s what you’re looking for.

cordially,
New Malki has made a career of collage at Wondermark
I think it could work, if you're up for it.
--

Drew
New Well, let me take a look
…at the material you’ve parked at the link, and I’ll see if I can force the muse.

cordially,
New You must have a different relationship with your muse
I don't find forcing usually works with mine.
--

Drew
New True, it’s often followed by tears and recriminations
…and the withdrawal of her tender attentions, which is why I generally wait to be approached—although that strategy wasn’t always feasible back in the days when my salary was paid out with the expectation that I would meet every deadline, however unreasonable. That’s when most of the rapes took place.

cordially,
New Re: Gorey’s work for Doubleday/Anchor
Thanks Rand, for this link. So many great ones in the past, Arthur Rackham, Gahan Wilson, Erich Sokol.
New and Charles Addams..
Searched for ghoulish+cartoon+haunted-house+van+kill etc. (But Gorey is on a loftier scale, we see.) So IIRC it was Addams, but might have been Gorey.. the Master of minimalism (?)

Scene: Usual haunted house; giant van parked near entrance,
you see: two big eyes in its dark interior. Man standing beside says, "Kill!

“It's hard to say. Sometimes people have had terrible childhoods. And sometimes they just haven't found their special place in life. And sometimes they're dogs from hell and must be destroyed.”
― Charles Addams

(Hallowe'en came funny these last two years ..ghoulish thus comes to mind more oftener.. )
New Thanks, hadn't realized the variety of his work
nor via 'just' these 92 ..96? titles--all of which he had to grok to fullness first--just to start work, his ongoing accumulation of Material for -next.

(Of course too, *were it a world of Newspeak, all such red-flags for umm. the growth of Imagination would be censored out, surely more reason to strive to grok Gorey.)

* the euphemistic tense of the perpetually Undecided?
     Gorey’s work for Doubleday/Anchor - (rcareaga) - (9)
         Are those all in your personal library? - (drook) - (5)
             Re: Are those all in your personal library? - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Malki has made a career of collage at Wondermark - (drook) - (3)
                     Well, let me take a look - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         You must have a different relationship with your muse - (drook) - (1)
                             True, it’s often followed by tears and recriminations - (rcareaga)
         Re: Gorey’s work for Doubleday/Anchor - (dmcarls) - (1)
             and Charles Addams.. - (Ashton)
         Thanks, hadn't realized the variety of his work - (Ashton)

It is a weapon of mass distraction to keep us away from the real issues at hand.
51 ms