IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Paris to Pittsburgh.
Watch it.

And not just because my daughter has a bit part in it here. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Nicely done!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New looks like a good gig, beats climbing radio masts
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I'd climb a radio mast
Would also take a shot at being a high-tension lineman. Or painting the Golden Gate Bridge. (The cables, not down inside the caissons.)
--

Drew
New ya, well when it is lit up you better have tin foil over your private parts
New I roomed with a cell tower repair guy
In rehab.

The guy would climb to the top, strap in, shoot up, and nod out.
New Smart. Not much chance of being caught sleeping on the job.
Was he smart enough to do the work first?
--

Drew
New This may be self-adjusting;
do the Work stoned and.. well, you know.. Hi-voltage RF is not your friend.

I know one tale (not apocryphal, still.. first-degree hearsay)
An actual-EE® opens a panel wherein lay conductors carrying ~20 KV (at center of enclosure.)
Spots a piece of debris near open panel and at the outer wall, decides that the 'wall' is far enough away and reaches in--inches-away--to grab it.
mSec later: sayonara. And this.. not-stoned.

HV has some unUsual tendencies in path choices; math explains but the reptile-brain is like Trump's main one. La-La-La will Getcha if you live there.

When I visited C.E.R.N. (Euro-accelerators) in early '60s, you could walk through the 'ignitron-switchyard' for the hi-current HV to main field, the presumptions being:
A) You *are* smart enough to move accordingly ..which carried the corollary,
B) Surely you won't! er, trip, slip/whatever.

Probability: the religion of Science? moi/coward; moi still here, not sniveling.
New Speaking of unUsual tendencies
My father claims to have witnessed ball lightning coming off an electrical panel he was working on in Labrador while in the Air Force in the 60s.
--

Drew
New Dunno
Heavily tattood crazy fucker. But really nice.

When I was in rehab I started writing a script for a sitcom. Standing cast of counselors and administrators. Revolving cast of patients. Then I realized I could never write the script, I was merely recording the insanity I was experiencing, and if it was to be ongoing I'd have to live there forever. Then I abandoned the project.
New Another shameless shout-out from my daughter.
This one from a women's magazine. Makes me feel the tiniest bit older seeing a magazine publish a description of her as "A woman."
bcnu,
Mikem

New Your clan.. it is Everywhere..
Unclear if that's Your Jessie, or re Women and Moffitts as cohorts. (Iowa Lakes CC??)
In HS a friend (who shared my disdain for ~∑ military 'customs') spelled it "Moffat", but then Engrish is rife with random spellings aka McCredie/McReady.

(Er 25 Stories *up* ..and not even one of those tiny elevator thingies you sit in? Sadistic engineering.)

Tally Ho!
*we* Needs men, women, children to grok-to-Fullness--that which is obvious on inspection; even the wavering-Repos from whose eyes the black-out shades are crumbling. (But few know how to transliterate Repo thought processes effectively, it's so like Speaking-in-Tongues.)
New Re: Moffat. Not sure about the entire clan, but I know why my family spells it with an "i".
I am seventh generation American. Last year, I went "home" to Moffat, Scotland and spent four days and three nights there. ISTR that Peter visited that little village some time ago. I really enjoyed my time there, particularly the historic inn where we stayed. At any rate, my family, too, spelled it Moffat when they came to the United States. But a paternal ancestor grew weary of being referred to as MOE-FAT, so he changed the spelling. It's in the Moffat Clan lore that originally only unwed Moffats spelled their names with one "t" and upon entry into marital bondage, changed to Moffatt. That custom has died out. People stick with whatever they're born with.

I did discover something pretty interesting, though. Years ago I'd been able to trace my ancestory back to the Moffatt that first set foot in North America. Going through the resources in the village of Moffat, I discovered an interesting passage in the family history. It tells of a Moffat who brought with him "an orphan, who was also called Moffat." It's unclear if that orphan had been born a Moffat or had been born to some other Clan. Guess who my ancestor is? The orphan. So, I'm not entirely sure I am a true Moffitt. I also learned that the pilot who torpedoed and disabled the Bismarck was most likely a Moffat, although there is some dispute about that.

Edit: Iowa Lakes CC has the second nationally rated Wind Energy Program. My wife heard an NPR report on that school and told my daughter about it. The "Women" are the only two female students. The other "woman" is the program director's daughter and she's a year behind my Jessie. I believe, but am not certain, that Jessie may be the first "woman" to graduate that program.
bcnu,
Mikem

Expand Edited by mmoffitt Jan. 9, 2019, 10:18:13 AM EST
New Maybe if I'd watched the whole thing I'd understand this, but what's with the quote marks?
--

Drew
New Amazing confluence ..zeroing-in on one person!
I cannot account for my absence of such delvings; (perhaps a rationalization could be that it might feed Vanity) or {horrors} that mayhap there's a wannabe-Drumpf..?
somewhere in the mix. Mainly though, it's really that I'm merely leasing this corporeal façade--something I'll discover fershure Yes/No ..once "the body drops-off" and like that. ;^>

May Jessie carry on the torch--despite what malevolence awaits us next in the National non-discourse.
(Imagine.. if a teensy fan/generator were put on every desk in Congress):
National Lottery prize to closest guess: %what? its annual ∑kw-hrs would equal the $cost of one Drumpf visit to his golf course. Eh?
(Oh and: we cannot count the lost "working hours" of this Prez* ... you can't add pay for Tee-Vee binge-time, now Can you?)
New I, too, am largely disinterested in ancestry.
In the sixth grade (I was age 11) I was given an assignment to "build your family tree" and instructed to ask my family about it. Most in my class went as far back as Great-Grandparents. But, with Scot roots, my father's side of the family in North Carolina was all about ancestry - still are today only perhaps worse. Knowing this, I called a Great Aunt and she was able to recite my lineage (from memory, no less!) all the way back to my Great Grandfather's Great Grandfather who had immigrated from Northern Ireland to the United States in the 1750's. Needless to say my sixth grade teacher was mightily impressed with my tree. In my case it was a trivial thing to trace back to the one person responsible for 1/2 of my being. All that was required was to receive an assignment and spend 20 minutes or so on the phone with a Great Aunt.

I say all that here to make clear that my tracing back to the one required virtually no sleuthing and I should not be granted credit for it. I should also note, in the way of a tribute to my late Aunt, that I was able to confirm everything she told me all those years ago from Moffat Clan registries.
bcnu,
Mikem

New I've never understood that sentiment
I know that it exists, and some people do care deeply, but it makes no sense to me.

I'm sure some of them would explain it's because I have no ancestors to be proud of, but taking pride in the accomplishments of someone who died before you were born seems like stealing honor.
--

Drew
New Heh.
Tell that to the Scots. For example, http://clanmoffat.org/
bcnu,
Mikem

New I know better
--

Drew
New Yeah, it's stupid
I got gypsies, horse thieves, and nobel winners up the line. All meaningless.
New Some cultures place great stock in remembering.
Scots are one of them.

I'm told that my mother's aunt once traces her line back to Rob Roy MacGregor (who, yes, really existed) and that that was not too difficult to do, either. And from there it is purported to be possible to trace ancestry back to the mid 800s AD!

Wade.
New mine goes back to the book of fines, long before the domesday book
cattle reaving and mayhem if I remember
New My wife's uncle was that way.
The surname is Gibbes and he traced it back to England via the Caribbean and unto the South Carolina in early 1700's.

So, my wife qualifies to be a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New But on my father's side...
... the trail goes cold in England where we know my grandfather's great grandfather hailed from. We think that a lot of the required records were destroyed in WWII. Also perhaps there was a name change.

Wade.
New Yep! And how do you suppose grandchilderen make you feel? :)
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
     Paris to Pittsburgh. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
         Nicely done! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         looks like a good gig, beats climbing radio masts -NT - (boxley) - (7)
             I'd climb a radio mast - (drook) - (6)
                 ya, well when it is lit up you better have tin foil over your private parts -NT - (boxley)
                 I roomed with a cell tower repair guy - (crazy) - (4)
                     Smart. Not much chance of being caught sleeping on the job. - (drook) - (3)
                         This may be self-adjusting; - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Speaking of unUsual tendencies - (drook)
                         Dunno - (crazy)
         Another shameless shout-out from my daughter. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
             Your clan.. it is Everywhere.. - (Ashton) - (12)
                 Re: Moffat. Not sure about the entire clan, but I know why my family spells it with an "i". - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                     Maybe if I'd watched the whole thing I'd understand this, but what's with the quote marks? -NT - (drook)
                     Amazing confluence ..zeroing-in on one person! - (Ashton) - (9)
                         I, too, am largely disinterested in ancestry. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                             I've never understood that sentiment - (drook) - (3)
                                 Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     I know better -NT - (drook)
                                 Yeah, it's stupid - (crazy)
                             Some cultures place great stock in remembering. - (static) - (3)
                                 mine goes back to the book of fines, long before the domesday book - (boxley)
                                 My wife's uncle was that way. - (a6l6e6x)
                                 But on my father's side... - (static)
             Yep! And how do you suppose grandchilderen make you feel? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

It's rare that you see crazy outdo crazy so effortlessly.
184 ms