IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nellthu
Read this long before I attained my full growth. By Anthony Boucher:
Ailsa had been easily the homeliest and the least talented girl in the University, if also the most logical and level-headed. Now, almost twenty-five years later, she was the most attractive woman Martin had ever seen and, to judge from their surroundings, by some lengths the richest.

“…so lucky running into you again after all these years,” she was saying, in that indescribably aphrodisiac voice. “You know about publishers, and you can advise me on this novel. I was getting so tired of the piano…”

Martin had heard her piano recordings and knew they were superb—as the vocal recordings had been before them and the non-representational paintings before them and the fashion designs and that astonishing paper on prime numbers. He also knew that the income from all these together could hardly have furnished the Silver Room in which they dined or the Gold Room in which he later read the novel (which was of course superb) or the room whose color he never noticed because he did not sleep alone (and the word superb is inadequate).

There was only one answer, and Martin was gratified to observe that the coffee-bringing servant cast no shadow in the morning sun. While Ailsa still slept (superbly), Martin said, “So you're a demon.”

“Naturally, sir,” the unshadowed servant said, his eyes adoringly on the sleeper. “Nellthu, at your service.”

“But such service! I can imagine Ailsa-that-was working out a good spell and even wishing logically. But I thought you fellows were limited in what you could grant.”

“We are, sir. Three wishes.”

“But she has wealth, beauty, youth, fame, a remarkable variety of talents—all on three wishes?”

“On one, sir. Oh, I foxed her prettily on the first two.” Nellthu smiled reminiscently. “Beauty—but she didn’t specify, and I made her the most beautiful centenarian in the world. “Wealth beyond the dreams of avarice—and of course nothing is beyond such dreams, and nothing she got. Ah, I was in form that day, sir! But the third wish…”

“Don't tell me she tried the old ‘For my third wish I want three more wishes’! I thought that was illegal.”

“It is, sir. The paradoxes involved go beyond even our powers. No, sir,” said Nellthu, with a sort of rueful admiration, “her third wish was stronger than that. She said: ‘I wish that you fall permanently and unselfishly in love with me.‘”

“She was always logical,” Martin admitted. “So for your own sake you had to make her beautiful and…adept, and since then you have been compelled to gratify her every—” He broke off and looked from the bed to the demon. “How lucky for me that she included ‘unselfishly’!”

“Yes, sir,” said Nellthu.
New That is gently brilliant.
New Anthony Boucher..!
(Am unsurprised that you value this Gem, of course). Can't believe I *missed it -here- once, as surely I'd have filed it/should I discover a rusty-old lava-lamp.)
* Ah.. that was Who Was She? gotta R.T.P. read-the-problem.
Wade already spake tl;dr ..mine's a bit lengthier.

Wayback ~time I started at the Rad Lab, used to hear his program on KPFA-FM. Plus lots else; it was (still IS but has mutated across the years); haven't tuned-in lately.. I know the drill). In fact KPFA was my alarm clock: always their sign-on was a catchy JS Bach cantata whosw BWV I never memorized
. Sony had made the world's first Hi-Fi FM Stereo transistorized portable radio; largish -vs- the cheapo AM radios du jour. So I left it 'on' all night as they went dead late-night. Nothing like JS to kick-start a morning.

Can't recall a title of *any of Boucher's tales; recall only that I was mesmerized as he told them. Harold Winkler was the CIEIO then (and I once set up a stereo system for him, also participated in sending out a questionnaire to the (known troops) ..my only 'project' there. Bad moi.
* I doubt that your selection was amongst those I heard then; I'd Know that.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.. KPFA then was unique, outré, oft suave and aimed at the several-brains including intellect (and natch later on: was early in scathing essays re Vietnam) the horrific war-crimes etc. etc. Alas the parts I recall fondly were a tad before you might have had similar incendiary thoughts (?)

Op cit. excerpt:

MOST of the media attention paid to KPFA has been devoted to its political programming, and so its history has been largely written in those terms; you would never guess that for years half the hours were devoted to “good” music, mostly classical. And so it is enormously satisfying to find that Lasar has given space to Kenneth Rexroth, listening to whose home-recorded grunts and wheezes was like eavesdropping on Mount Olympus; Alan Rich, one of the most enthusiastic and enlightening music critics of our time (or any other); Alan Watts, whose chats on Zen were a model of intellectual fluency and professional competence; Anthony Boucher, whose smoker’s wheeze was the instantly recognisable signal that we were about to be enlightened and amused in equal measure; Phil Elwood, who formed the taste of two generations of Bay Area jazz lovers; Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who claimed to have learned much from the station in its early days and repaid it many times over; and Pauline Kael, who could trash movies and listeners with equal abandon.

[. . .]

From A Leaden Treasury of English Verse ..to touch bases with those Times:

A red sky at night
Means it went off all right

Our world is so full of a number of Things
That it's very surprising when somebody sings

(Who coulda known that this ©1958 set of musings + sketches would be dusted off au courant, yet again?)
Perused your copy lately? ;^>
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 13, 2018, 03:41:54 AM EST
New the version of that story that I read
used a genie instead of a demon.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
     Nellthu - (rcareaga) - (3)
         That is gently brilliant. -NT - (static)
         Anthony Boucher..! - (Ashton)
         the version of that story that I read - (lincoln)

Check out Elimidate.. but not right after a meal, OK?
76 ms