IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What network neutrality is really about (maybe)
--

Drew
New sort of not really
the engineer in the root was talking about uverse not comcast. As noted that model worked extremely well for the customers, not so much for ATT. Their model is now SAT for tv, broadband for eveything else.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New What makes sense about it
Newspapers are dying because they lost the advertising. Subscriptions haven't paid the full load for a long time. Since advertising is based on readership, they'll make just about any deal to get you to agree to keep taking it.

I'd never thought of cable TV the same way, but it's true. If they make more money from the ads they sell than from their subscribers, that would explain why the cost of an internet + TV bundle is about $5 more than just the internet. They want you to take the TV so they can push ads at you.
--

Drew
New Of course it's about the money.
Australia has been far from the top of the pile for internet connectivity. A previous government decided to very nearly "start again" and setup a national company that would roll out fibre connections to something like 96% of the population (replacing the entire POTS!) and then be a wholesaler of internet access. This would give us a nearly future-proof network. It's called the NBN - National Broadband Network.

However; Rupert Murdoch has a large stake in our monopoly cable provider, Foxtel. I'm not sure what would've happened to all that HFC under the original NBN but it was probably going to go away. Foxtel has never been terribly popular - maybe 25% of households have it. And attempts by Foxtel to entice people to sign up by getting exclusive content (e.g. Game of Thrones) generally doesn't work. So Murdoch really doesn't like the idea of the NBN, because that means people can watch Netflix et al and stop paying Foxtel for TV.

Then we had a change of government. The new lot never really liked the NBN and didn't want to build it at all. But it was underway and the populace wanted it, so they generally complained that the chosen technology was too expensive or going to take too long (both untrue) and got it changed to this horrible "multi-technology mix". So instead of fibre all the way, most people are getting re-jigged HFC or VDSL for the last mile.

But it is known that Murdoch tends to have the ear of this lot and not the previous party. Which means there is a persistent story that Murdoch got our NBN munted to try to protect his Foxtel empire. Money.

Wade.
New Interesting/but unsurprising..
I admit a long-standing bias towards say, members "authentic-English"-speakers (S. and north :-) almost across the board, in terms of being more like real Human beings; nevertheless, periodic events have suggested that:

Still, Brit [ tui gry'as'nya capitalistich'iskaya svinya! ] "filthy capitalist swine!" occasionally get to #1 in pure-Swinishness.
Op cit Murdoch-almost-by-definition? I deduce that, this illustrates that youse guys n'gals indeed possess elements across the board
from Angelic? --> ..to Mephistophelian as in our currently Failed State™
ergo Mr Gauss(ian) knows no favorites. Still and all ''Murica WIns! handily the Turd-ring for the most Assholes per capita, generally to a fare-thee-well.

tl;dr ... I forgive you Murdoch's continued hoary-existence if you'll forgive er,
[List too lengthy even to try to condense]

;^>
     What network neutrality is really about (maybe) - (drook) - (4)
         sort of not really - (boxley) - (1)
             What makes sense about it - (drook)
         Of course it's about the money. - (static) - (1)
             Interesting/but unsurprising.. - (Ashton)

It's a lot less messy in here when Karsten's absent...
75 ms