IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Definitely it is chaos.
With the exception of Tilapia, I buy only whole fish, preferably still frozen, but I'll take them off the ice from a market with very high turnover (like the local Philippine markets).

With whole fish, you can know what it is (refer to my fish pages if in doubt), and it will have passed through far fewer hands than fish processed in any way.

If you buy fillets, you have absolutely no idea what you're getting, and the more expensive the fish, the less likely you're getting what you are paying for.

Even with whole fish, you have to be very knowledgeable if it's an upscale fish. Except in my local Philippine market, I have never seen anything labeled "Red Snapper" that was actually a Red Snapper.

Even in markets that try hard, they are often at the mercy of the wholesaler. My local Philippine markets often have fish that are severely mislabeled, because that's what the wholesaler said they were.

Of course, if what you bought is Escolar, you will know some hours later, because you'll get totally uncontrollable (you can't even feel them) bright orange oily shits. Yes, this has happened to many people.

I bought Escolar (properly labeled from an Asian fish market) for testing. I can assure you the limit reputable restaurants place on customers (who tend to overeat, because Escolar is absolutely delicious) are too high.

One of the steaks in the batch I bought was actually orange! I put it out for the raccoons - payback, guys!
New We are lucky on the red snapper around here
Can get the whole fish fresh frozen from the boats
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Pack it with dry ice and send it to Andrew, :)
Unless the ship you see got the fish ifrom a ship that came from elsewhere.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New ..or it's stamped by the newly-emasculated FDA,FSDA, FSIS et al
     Fish fraud - (drook) - (5)
         That's fricken sad! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Definitely it is chaos. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             We are lucky on the red snapper around here - (boxley) - (2)
                 Pack it with dry ice and send it to Andrew, :) - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     ..or it's stamped by the newly-emasculated FDA,FSDA, FSIS et al -NT - (Ashton)

When we check it out dem a brain it small. Seven time rise seven time will fall.
51 ms