IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It’s a club
…and a significant fraction of its members don’t take its rites and doctrines seriously. These days, for many self-ientified “Christians,” it means “people like us.” This is particularly true during the last half-century as the Right has toiled sedulously to corral believers and hangers-on.

It’s kinda like wearing a tie at work, which I did for most of my career. It’s a signal, not of the fact that I craved that slight choking sensation all day, but that I recognized the existence of a hierarchy, accepted its authority to promulgate an arbitrary dress code, and was prepared, in abiding by that standard, to acknowledge its authority in exchange for the privileges (mainly those regular EFTs that showed up in my checking account) attendant thereupon.

It was a sort of low-rent Faustian pact. I never subscribed to any of the succession of BDS “Mission Statements” (Fuck. Me.), but the act of keeping a straight face—indeed, of nodding in apparent sage approval—kept me enrolled in the club.

Now imagine this in the Christian populace at large, only in society rather than (or in addition to) the workplace.

devoutly,
New Amen to that,
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Can anyone explain this to me? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         When has there ever been a stigma in agreeing with a solid majority of the population? -NT - (drook) - (1)
             Even this? It's nonsense. I could see that when I was 10 years old. - (mmoffitt)
         You have to look at trends, and by age. - (Another Scott)
         What made you determine that Jesus if he existed was illiterate? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             And "Palestinian" for that matter. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Well that was what the Romans called when they had ownership -NT - (boxley)
             Gonna talk about his Sufi 'mentors' are ya? [Got video??] - (Ashton)
         It’s a club - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Amen to that, -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Collect all the sets!
71 ms