1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nonsense. It was/is a movement.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Sure, just like Christianity, Islam and other movements.
The fact that you, within your religion, define it as "not a religion" makes no difference to the outside world.
New The fact that you, as a capitalist, have anything to say about it is immaterial. ;0)
Plus, we don't have deities. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Once again, you don't know what you're talking about.
See Witches & Pagans issue 35 for articles explaining their Pagan practices by an atheist Pagan and an agnostic Pagan, and another who clearly states that her god is Science.

Those of us who do work with deities are very up front that these deities are composed by us, in response to human needs. That doesn't mean they are powerless, because they are composed of powerful natural and social forces. Their power increases with the number of people who subscribe to the name and definition.

Same with the "three revealed religions". For each, their God is of their own creation - but, unlike we Pagans, they won't admit it.

Besides, you Communists have pretty much deified Marx and Lenin, now haven't you?

And, you have stuff that is just as "unrealistic" as we do, perhaps more so. "To each according to his needs, and from each according to his abilities".

Humans are good at maximizing situations to their own advantage - except a few (usually dead ones) who are called martyrs. This statement, if followed, quickly degrades into a society with a great number of needs and very little abilities.
New We didn't "compose" Lenin, Marx, Trotsky, Bukharin, Che, Fidel or anyone else.
Most Communists have *read* their works, but unlike your deities, we didn't invent the authors from whole cloth! You're conflating the imaginary (including the "force" that runs through and connects all of nature or whatever) with actual historical human beings.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Which means you can't adjust them . . .
. . to keep up with the times. You're stuck back in 1916 - no wonder Communism isn't doing very well these days.
New The point is they *were around*. Which means they weren't (and aren't) imaginary.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Pretty sure there's been some historical enhancement.
Heroes are always partly imaginary at this remove.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Most of that enhancement has been flushed out at this point.
No serious student of the Bolshevik Revolution, for instance, would contend today that the Romanovs were murdered without Lenin's knowledge or consent (as was once claimed in the Soviet Union). And Khrushchev's denouncement of Stalin effectively (but not entirely - just as with Trump, there are some that will never see) ended his cult of personality.

There are many other myths that have arisen about the early leaders of the Communist movement (and not just Russians, Mao in China, Ho Chi Minh in Viet Nam, Fidel in Cuba, etc.). But I submit that most of those "enhancements" have been categorically refuted at this stage.

Not by the useful idiots, perhaps, but by the intelligentsia and professional revolutionaries. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New The useful idiots are the ones who keep religions going...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New When someone has promised you a 'Certainty' of (..never say "die")
I fear that Mr. Boole's (..nor even Mr. Socrates'..) boffo logical, intellectual methods towards "logical argumentation", that which got us to
--> the Moon (and Vietnam, Iraq, Oxycontin, Facebook-purchase-by Russkies etc. ... but I digress)
can never compete with so ingrained an idea as "Certainty" cha. cha. ch-cha.

(Especially with Paul Joseph Göbbels II just now prepping for several new Patriotic Wars) for Whatever, such that: maybe lots of folks are yearning even more
for that coming [harps replace guitars] way Out of this chicken outfit.

We be so comic (when not in full-Vicious mode.)
Expand Edited by Ashton April 5, 2018, 09:51:38 PM EDT
New Neither are the concepts we call "deities" imaginary.
They aren't imagined out of whole cloth - they are composed from real natural and social forces, and these assemblages are given names to facilitate understanding and discussion of the combined nature and interactions of these forces.

This is better than the obsolete and unworkable social theories of your deities (listed by you above) which forever hold you back. "Intelligentsia and professional revolutionaries" indeed - polite synonyms for "losers".

But - there is hope, even for a Godless Communist. Even you can achieve a more rewarding personal spiritual life. There is a well regarded book available from Lulu titled Godless Paganism: Voices of Non-Theistic Pagans - it might help. See, you don't really have to give up the godless part.
New I don't now and never will believe in spirits.
Except, of course, Glenfiddich. When I encounter something I don't understand in Nature, I strive to understand it by studying science. I've no need for magical beasts or spirits.

But thank you anyway and I sincerely mean that. I'm sure your expressed hope that I find "a more rewarding personal spiritual life" was a genuine expression of hope that I would find life more satisfying. I'm reminded of a very close friend of mine who always took great exception to hearing "I'll pray for you" from a Christian. I tried and failed many times to convince him that he should let that slide. I quite understood why he was offended as "someone of faith" saying that to him was judging him very harshly. It is perhaps the ultimate slight for someone to say, "I'll pray for you" after you've informed them you are an atheist. But it harms no one and makes the person saying it feel better about themselves. He never accepted my position on that. But, I'm not offended in the least by your assertion that my life is lacking as compared to yours. Still, I won't be picking up any books about spirits, unless they concern single malts.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Ah, but we Pagans are just as much into single malts . . .
. . though my favorite "paint stripper" (Peter W's description) is Laphroaig. Also caviar. California is now a leading producer of high quality caviar, as Russia fades from that scene. But don't you Communists have to avoid things like caviar because they are "bourgeois"?

Of course, here in Los Angeles we have a late night coffee shop named "Bourgeois Pig" - just right for us.
New I had caviar when I was a kid. I didn't like it.
Amd yes, eating it is a display of bourgeois decadence. :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Ah, but speaking of Bourgeois Decadence . . .
. . aren't you Communists supposed to be drinking cheap vodka from a proletarian factory to give you courage to face defeat on the barricades?

Doesn't this expensive, Single Malt, carefully produced by capitalist entrepreneurs, qualify as Bourgeois Decadence? Methinks your Communist idealism wavers a bit, perhaps quite a bit.

And, childhood tasting experiences are completely invalid for adults, as taste changes quite radically. In some regions, coming to like bitter melon is considered evidence of entering into adulthood, as children can't stand it.
New Have you been to Scotland? Decadent it ain't. ;0)
Although I did get a still unopened jug of something called "Toffee Vodka" in Moffat. I haven't worked up the courage to actually try it yet.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Well, there are different kinds of decadent.
On the Isle of Skye (at least a few years ago) the locals were very proud of the fact that there were more people on the island that had their licenses revoked for DUI than there were licensed drivers.
New Caviar comes in different types
I've had caviar I hate and caviar I love. Try different ones.
New We always used fish eggs for bait...
... when we went fishing at a trout farm in the Georgia mountains when I was a kid. (I'm not sure why we always went there to fish - I guess my dad didn't like waiting. ;-)

I never had much interest in trying caviar with that history.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers,
Scott.
New There's a new book out on brain nutrition . . .
. . and it says caviar is really top notch brain food. It says the biggest problem with brain nutrition is not enough plain water, which causes long term problems. It warns about purified and distilled water as insufficient. The author buys Poland Spring water by the case.

I'm in good shape - I drink a huge amount of Jerry Water (Gerolsteiner), almost a case a week. Fortunately I buy it on sale, $0.99 or $0.89 per bottle +CRV.
New spring fed bottled water, right from a tap in brooklyn
I like appolinaris if I can find it any more. Jerry Water is pretty good as well.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Dup - several hours later
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus April 6, 2018, 11:57:10 PM EDT
New Though I've read several articles on the subject . . .
. . it's of interest to me, so I ordered the book (Lulu - 3 days to print before shipping). I'll let you know if anyone says belief in spirits is required, but I don't think anyone will. In general, we Pagans aren't "believers".
     Some thoughts on Punish a Muslim Day as we approach Zombie Jesus Day. - (mmoffitt) - (36)
         There's a serious misconception in that statement. - (Andrew Grygus) - (35)
             I said "on their way to Hof". -NT - (mmoffitt) - (34)
                 Whatever the hell "Hof" is. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (33)
                     The Heathen Hof. - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                         OK, that's specific to Heathenism . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
                             I don't think any of it is harmless. It's tribal. - (mmoffitt) - (29)
                                 Just so. - (Ashton)
                                 Tribalism? Not at all. - (Andrew Grygus) - (27)
                                     Communists have no use for religion. - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                                         Communism is a religion - (Andrew Grygus) - (25)
                                             Nonsense. It was/is a movement. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                                                 Sure, just like Christianity, Islam and other movements. - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                                                     The fact that you, as a capitalist, have anything to say about it is immaterial. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                                                         Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
                                                             We didn't "compose" Lenin, Marx, Trotsky, Bukharin, Che, Fidel or anyone else. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                                                 Which means you can't adjust them . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                                                                     The point is they *were around*. Which means they weren't (and aren't) imaginary. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                                                                         Pretty sure there's been some historical enhancement. - (malraux) - (3)
                                                                             Most of that enhancement has been flushed out at this point. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                 The useful idiots are the ones who keep religions going... -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                                     When someone has promised you a 'Certainty' of (..never say "die") - (Ashton)
                                                                         Neither are the concepts we call "deities" imaginary. - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                                                                             I don't now and never will believe in spirits. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                                                 Ah, but we Pagans are just as much into single malts . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                                                                                     I had caviar when I was a kid. I didn't like it. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                                         Ah, but speaking of Bourgeois Decadence . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                                             Have you been to Scotland? Decadent it ain't. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                 Well, there are different kinds of decadent. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                                         Caviar comes in different types - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                             We always used fish eggs for bait... - (Another Scott)
                                                                                             There's a new book out on brain nutrition . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                                 spring fed bottled water, right from a tap in brooklyn - (boxley)
                                                                                             Dup - several hours later -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                                         salmon caviar is my favorite - (boxley)
                                                                                 Though I've read several articles on the subject . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Except in Europe - (scoenye)

Nobody has that much Schadenfreude in him.
220 ms