IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I seem to be the only person who was bothered by their math?
You have a few thousand systems joining the trade federation.

And the "grand army" meant to take them on is a million and a half clones?

Isn't that short of being noticable by a few orders of magnitude?

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Maybe
One guy with a gun can hold a bank full of people hostage. Even if there are several dozen men with guns outside. They guy trying not to fight always has to have massive fire superiority over the guy who does want to fight.

The Trade Federation deosn't really want the fight. The droid armies are supposed to deter the Republic from opposing them. The Republic is using the clone army as a tool of naked political agression. They will forcibly deny the right of secession one planet at a time.

As long as the Trade Federation members are just in it for the money, they lose this battle of wills. War is bad for business. Unless you're just selling weapons to both sides. Like the cloners.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Bothered by different math
The trade federation army wasn't the big for two reasons. The Republic didn't have a standing army at all, and the merchants would have built the smallest army that suited their needs. Second, the trade federation group was setup to fail, the whole point of the sucession was to give Darth Sidius a reason to raise an army for the Republic.

The math the bothered me was the time line. The clones growth was roughly doubled, which means they where growing for 10 years roughly. But if Dooku / Tyrannis was already evil 10 years ago when he setup the clone army then it would have been around the time of the first movie and violated the "there can only be two dark jedi" rule.

Jay
New The time line is OK
It just means that the dark lord is damned fast about replacing his second. Which makes sense because in the next movie he is supposed to do it again - successfully. (And note that he is already training the possible replacement.)

As for size of militaries, my judgement is based on comparing one system to Earth. We have multiple countries with militaries in the ballpark of a million or more. Many more don't, but could raise such in the event of a protracted war. Even if we assume that this universe is less populated, at 10,000 soldiers or equivalent (eg drones) per planet (which is on par with a medium-sized force of peacekeepers that the UN manages to organize fairly routinely), we would still be talking an army of hundreds of millions.

Putting it into some perspective, more past and present military people will see Lucas' film than will be in this galaxy-shaking Grand Army!

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Lucas math
The Clones are well trained and based on Jengo Fett, so they have his physical attributes. The thousand systems may have wimpy militaries, but rely on the droid fighters to fight for them. If each clone can take out 10 droid fighters before getting Aced, then the number is much higher.

Don't those Clone Troopers look a lot like Storm Troopers? Hmmmmmmm, I wonder...

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
Expand Edited by orion June 14, 2002, 10:35:03 PM EDT
     I should slap Lucas. - (Brandioch) - (28)
         You've been reading Huey's take, haven't you? - (Another Scott) - (11)
             I like that. :) - (Brandioch) - (10)
                 I saw it today - (orion) - (8)
                     More spoilers. Do not read. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                         Re: More spoilers. Do not read. - (altmann) - (5)
                             Re: More spoilers. Do not read. - (imric) - (4)
                                 Gaelic 'Sidhe' is pronounced 'She'. Not too close to Sith :) -NT - (hnick)
                                 Balance - (altmann) - (2)
                                     Luke and Liea - (orion)
                                     Imbalance - (orion)
                         All of which might serve to show that, - (Ashton)
                 Is this why they suck so much? - (Brandioch)
         Nitpickers - (orion)
         Mr. Cranky reviews Attack Of The Clones - (orion) - (5)
             Good One, Orion! (I was Crankier - first!) - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Howard The Duck - (orion) - (1)
                     Watch it... I Liked that movie! - (Ashton)
                 From the paper, the other day: HP5 delayed, not before 2003. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     {Ugh} ... bad news :( but OK - prefer quality over speed. -NT - (Ashton)
         Decided not to see it - (Silverlock)
         That's Mr. Yoda to you... - (inthane-chan)
         Finally went to see it - (drewk) - (6)
             Of course you know - (orion)
             I seem to be the only person who was bothered by their math? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 Maybe - (drewk)
                 Bothered by different math - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     The time line is OK - (ben_tilly)
                 Lucas math - (orion)

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
161 ms