IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Go Ahead, Millennials, Destroy Us."
A little manifesto from KOS via D'Artagnan (sans the apostrophe-let.)

Its more cerebral Source is linked at NYT.
(While there.. see also the brouhaha over a painting of the tortured/lynched child Emmett Till ... YAN litmus
of the Disease of Drumpf and all which his tiny-little fingers touch-on.)

From NYT link: (Tim Kreider)

[. . .]

I am creeped out by the increasing dogmatism and intolerance of millennials on the left; I felt a generational divide open up under me last year when everyone under 40 seemed to agree that Dana Schutz’s painting of Emmett Till in his coffin should be removed from the Whitney Biennial. When I was young it seemed the natural order of things that conservatives were the prudes and scolds who wanted books banned and exhibitions closed, while we liberals got to be the gadflies and iconoclasts. I know that whenever you disapprove of young people, you’re in the wrong, because you’re going to die and they’ll get to write history, but I just can’t help noticing that the liberal side isn’t much fun to be on anymore.

Yet this uprising of the young against the ossified, monolithic power of the National Rifle Association has reminded me that the flaws of youth — its ignorance, naïveté and passionate, Manichaean idealism — are also its strengths. Young people have only just learned that the world is an unfair hierarchy of cruelty and greed, and it still shocks and outrages them. They don’t understand how vast and intractable the forces that have shaped this world really are and still think they can change it. Revolutions have always been driven by the young.

Ever since Columbine, almost 20 years ago, I’ve absorbed the news of more mass shootings than I can count with an ulcerating rage that gradually scabbed over into deadened cynicism. To those of us who have lived with certain grim realities our whole adult lives — the widening moat between the rich and the rest of us, the sclerotic influence of money on politics, the N.R.A.’s unassailable coalition of greed and fear — they seem like facts of life as unalterable as death itself.

[. . .]

Carrion
When you're immersed in it it tastes just like chicken ..or the color Yellow?
New Can't make up my mind about the painting
I completely agree that anyone using those images for profit is just wrong. But the artist says she never plans to sell it. Does anyone have reason to doubt her? It sounds like she's doing well without whatever she might make from this one.

Do they think she's using it to advance her own career? Yeah, she wouldn't be the first artist to do that. I don't see anyone claiming that.

I'm bothered by the idea that you don't get to comment on something unless you are the subject of it, but I also understand that when you're a member of the class responsible for an atrocity it's maybe better to keep your opinion private. I can't think how to defend her right to do this without it sounding like whitesplaining.
--

Drew
New If you can't ignore it, the artists job is done.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Excellent point.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
     "Go Ahead, Millennials, Destroy Us." - (Ashton) - (3)
         Can't make up my mind about the painting - (drook) - (2)
             If you can't ignore it, the artists job is done. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Excellent point. -NT - (hnick)

That's not fair! I'm just a transparent rhetorical device!
63 ms