IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not so analogous to containerization, then.
Doug describes XML:
a tag based meta-language [...] allows the creation of self describing data.
So "XML" per se doesn't mean ready-made standardized "containers" (they're in the DTD/Schema), but more of a *container-construction kit*.

If y[ou l]ook at it that way, are you still so sure it will "revolutionize" IT like containerization did shipping? Do you believe shipping would have been commoditized if there had only been a standard for *how* to build containers, but no actual standard for the resulting containers themselves?

(Needless to say, since you already inferred it from my tone above, I don't think so.)

[EDIT: Typo; "you look" inadvertently contracted to "yook".]
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
Expand Edited by CRConrad June 14, 2002, 06:11:40 PM EDT
New Re: Actually from several aspects

I have just obtained an excellent article from Harvard Business review that describes in a good way
the impact of XML / Web Services. When I can get the soft copy I will post a link or an extract.

It puts the impact this way

"End of proprietary computing as we know it"

As regard containerization, there are many comparisons & aspects to an anology. I have been working
on bring these together into a presentation.

Cheers

Doug
     Possible effects from any drastic changes to IT - (dmarker2) - (20)
         This reminds me of COBOL in the 60's. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Re: Just ask a Smalltalk programmer - 'ST is sooo simple' - (dmarker2)
             Sort of - (orion)
         What is IT, and how does this make them obsolete? - (ben_tilly) - (12)
             Re: Am sure we agree, issue is the question - (dmarker2) - (10)
                 XML can't kill IT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                     Re: I am sure that is agreed (?) - (dmarker2) - (7)
                         To quote one writer on the subject . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             XML is a container for content - (orion) - (5)
                                 Re: XML is ... Some of the definitions - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                     Gracias. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Re: XML is ..., WebSvcs are ... (part 2) ... - (dmarker2)
                                     Not so analogous to containerization, then. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Re: Actually from several aspects - (dmarker2)
                     Re: A couple of points you raise ... - (dmarker2)
             Well, it won't affect my job - (tonytib)
         Web Services Certainly NOT! Cheaper Labor And Attitudes! - (gdaustin) - (3)
             I think there are two problems here - (drewk) - (1)
                 Perhaps I should have qualified.... - (gdaustin)
             Health care - (ChrisR)

Everything is chromed in the future!
51 ms