IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't do that?
I alternate my Win10 Dell E7450 laptop between running by itself, and a 2-monitor dock at home, and a 2-monitor dock in my office. Lots of things are wonky about the work arrangement - e.g. some apps open the window off-screen on the laptop if I previously used it on the secondary screen on the dock. It's a pain in the neck. :-/ (I have to open another instance of it from the taskbar and then close the first one.) . Some apps are kinda OK, but I almost always have to resize the windows. Sometimes something refreshes on the dual-monitor setup and the taskbar moves to the other monitor.

I hate Winders.

But I always shut down my apps before undocking (and don't "suspend" or "hibernate" or whatever).

It's just something I've learned to live with. I'll be interested to hear if there's a solution. It may be driver-dependent also too (my laptop has Intel drivers) - it seems like too much is.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm in and out of meetings all day
Shutting everything down every time is not an option.
--

Drew
New keep display icon in your task bar, before you undock change it to duplicate displays?
I would be just as happy having my mouse go right or left the same way every time
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New It is beyond the drivers
Over the years, we've had a slew of laptops at work, mostly HP, with Intel and ATI/AMD chips, running Windows XP -> 10. Some had docks, some just used the extra VGA port. No matter the configuration, you unplug that extra monitor at your peril.

In some respects, things are getting worse. Win10 makes it possible for the Windows setting panel to do things the %mfg driver does not understand/allow.
New I thought Windows was the "enterprise solution"
Constantly docking and undocking with multiple monitors is much more a corporate use case than otherwise.

There are multiple third-party solutions, but every one I've seen so far tries to take over much more than just positioning. This is one case where Mac really does Just Work.
--

Drew
New That ship lost its anchors a while ago
XP was the last version with that mindset. 7 started the rearrangements for the sake of rearranging things. 10 lost the plot completely. (Besides the unremovable/uncontrollable crap, it will auto download and install incompatible drivers even if driver downloads are disabled. And then you may as well reformat.)
New Yeah, I didn't even mention the hour I spent fighting with wifi configs
--

Drew
     I has a sad ... anyone got tips for multi-monitor window placement? - (drook) - (11)
         Don't do that? - (Another Scott) - (6)
             I'm in and out of meetings all day - (drook) - (1)
                 keep display icon in your task bar, before you undock change it to duplicate displays? - (boxley)
             It is beyond the drivers - (scoenye) - (3)
                 I thought Windows was the "enterprise solution" - (drook) - (2)
                     That ship lost its anchors a while ago - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Yeah, I didn't even mention the hour I spent fighting with wifi configs -NT - (drook)
         IME OS X doesn't get it fully right, either. - (static) - (2)
             Now try that with a remote desktop - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Ugh. - (static)
         And now I'm pissed - (drook)

Sitting member of the standing committee. Right.
94 ms