IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's got multiple inputs, but that's not what it's doing (I think)
It's not detecting/selecting the input, but the video mode. It goes black for a second then comes back up with an indicator on the corner for "1080i 60hz".
--

Drew
New Is it new behavior?
Is the TV "smart" enough to have a "firmware" update available?

We've got a Panasonic 42" plasma that is our main TV. I've got an HDMI spiltter on the main input, with the cable box, BlueRay player, and Chromecast plugged into it. Whenever the TV has been off several hours, on turn-on we have to manually switch the HDMI splitter from the Chromecast to the cable box. Dunno why, or if that behavior can be changed.

The video mode selection on the TV has always "stuck" on the last setting the way it's supposed to though.

My step-mom has a huge 36" Sony tube TV. It weighs over 200 pounds. It still works fine, but has no HDMI inputs or anything else appropriate for interconnections to the web or anything else from this century (other than RCA/coax). It's going to be a huge pain to try to replace.

It's kind of astounding what one can get these days for less than $2000 - often substantially less, but doing the comparisons is a huge pain in the neck...

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not smart, so no firmware
Going to try unplugging everything except the HDMI and see what happens. Unfortunately it's intermittent, so I'd have to go quite a while before concluding that's it.
--

Drew
New Don't you have the splitter in reverse?
AFAIK, a splitter serves to distribute one input device across multiple displays.

Speculation:
When the TV is turned back on, it renegotiates the HDMI connection with whatever is connected. I think what you're seeing is that the cable box responds the fastest out of all the devices you have chattering on the splitter and therefore it "wins" the connection to the TV.
New Splitter was the wrong term. It's an HDMI Switch.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0049S6ZUS/

3 inputs, one output (to the TV).

I think the cable box times out after some period of time while the Chromecast is always chattering so it wins the connection. Maybe. It's not been enough of an annoyance for me to even read the instructions to the switch box. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New No external switches here
HDMI from the cable box, RCA stereo & video from the Wii, RGB+stereo from the DVD. DVD and Wii are turned off and it still keeps re-detecting video mode from the cable box.
--

Drew
New Does it behave the same even if you unplug the other devices?
New Need someone to help with that
The way it's mounted to the wall, I can't reach the plugs. Been trying everything else first.
--

Drew
New It sounds like a hardware fault.
Some chip somewhere is now seeing or reporting something it shouldn't be.

Wade.
     TV keeps auto detecting video mode - (drook) - (10)
         Is there anything plugged in to that port? - (static) - (9)
             It's got multiple inputs, but that's not what it's doing (I think) - (drook) - (8)
                 Is it new behavior? - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     Not smart, so no firmware - (drook)
                     Don't you have the splitter in reverse? - (scoenye) - (5)
                         Splitter was the wrong term. It's an HDMI Switch. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             No external switches here - (drook) - (3)
                                 Does it behave the same even if you unplug the other devices? -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Need someone to help with that - (drook)
                                 It sounds like a hardware fault. - (static)

Got Snow, Greg?
57 ms