IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unexpected.
Today I went to Jon's Market in Glendale. I don't go there often because their parking lot is almost always packed to the gills.

Since I'm doing Russian for the New Years Musica Donavania event, I needed fresh horseradish roots, and that's the only place around that has them reliably. Fortunately I lucked into a parking spot right away.

They are also the only place that has fresh Sorrel, but what I didn't expect is they are now carrying Stinging Nettles. Of course they call it Yekinje, and I haven't identified the language, but I got stung plenty good getting it into the bag.

This is the first time I've seen Stinging Nettles in a regular market - if you can call Jon's a regular market. It's a family owned chain that has grown to 13 markets In Los Angeles County, each one tailored to the ethnicity of its location. The Glendale one on Glenoaks is the Russian one.

I didn't see them at the fish counter last time I was there, but, fortunately, they still stock a barrel of whole salt brined herrings. I will be needing some.

I was hoping Jon's had dried Black Currant Leaves, but I found none. I want to do a recipe calling for fresh Black Currant Leaves, but those cannot be had in the US. Growing black current plants is illegal to protect the timber industry. I have ordered some dried ones on the Internet.
New Well, how convenient.
From Jon's I bought a big bunch of the Stinging Nettles and a medium bunch of Sorrel. I was wondering what to do with the nettles, but before even thinking about it I stumbled on a Russian soup recipe requiring "a big bunch of Nettles and a medium bunch of Sorrel".

Potatoes, tomatoes, eggs, dill and scallions I've got on hand, and sour cream to serve it with.

Dinner tonight.
New When the nuclear wasteland comes, you'll never go hungry. ;-)
New Don't laugh . . .
During the great Potato Blight, all the Irish didn't starve to death (the preferred "final solution" in Queen Victoria's government) because Ireland abounds in Stinging Nettles. Many of the locals re-learned how to use them. Nettles are very nutritious, including an unusually high protein content for greens.
     Unexpected. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Well, how convenient. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             When the nuclear wasteland comes, you'll never go hungry. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Don't laugh . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

DIRE WOOFS! DIRE WOOFS, YOU ASWIPES!
72 ms