IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Once More, with Feeling"
TAL (This American Life) a roundabout arabesque re hypocrisy?

Statistician/woman decides to confront the Cat-call Habit ... by talking to (several) then collects some stats from other women;
goes back to an intransigent guy (who was otherwise pleasant-but-stubborn.)
Maybe her last Stat (re this guy, revisited) is the most revealing? ... for its rarity.
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 25, 2017, 03:34:02 PM EST
New Don't tease; what stat?
--

Drew
New This stat:
Eleanor Gordon-smith: After he left, I sat on the curb surrounded by fossilized bits of chewing gum and watched the traffic go by. This was the most success I had with any of the guys I talked to. It took 120 minutes of conversation with one man to get him to commit to not literally assaulting women.
Either that it took two hours of further persuasion after she'd presented stats on womens' side of it -- like, "2/3 of women think that it's going to get worse. [ .  .  . ] 85% feel angry, 78% feel annoyed, 80% feel nervous, and 72% feel disgusted. It's not just me, man. Most of us hate it." -- to get this one guy to promise to quit slapping random female passers-by on the butt(*); or, even more probably, that he was the only one she got even that far with. (He'd go on cat-calling, as I understood it.)

Here, read the whole thing; it isn't all that long: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/603/transcript

---
(*): But he had a gentlemanly code of only slapping, not grabbing, because that would be weird... (Yeah, really.) And he only did it to women in groups, and only to one of them. (Guess we gotta be genuinely thankful that woman walking alone were spared.)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Part 2 of the experiment they should do
Find the biggest, butchest leather boys they can find and have them walk up and smack Zac on the ass. Do it to him every time he leaves the house for a couple of weeks. See how he feels about that.
--

Drew
New or put him in a pro football game and make him stand by the refs
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Hey, lay off on him. He promised to quit.
     Knock me over with a flippin' feather. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         I don't believe I heard the word "hypocrite" used in the audio clip. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             They changed their values for political expediency. Hypocritical, no? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         That's been widely known for quite some time. - (Andrew Grygus)
         "Once More, with Feeling" - (Ashton) - (5)
             Don't tease; what stat? -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 This stat: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Part 2 of the experiment they should do - (drook) - (2)
                         or put him in a pro football game and make him stand by the refs -NT - (boxley)
                         Hey, lay off on him. He promised to quit. -NT - (CRConrad)

Happy strategic planning.
90 ms