IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kinda sorta.
One can easily spend $600+ on something from AnthroCart.

I made a small rolling cart for 2 tower PCs, space for a keyboard and a monitor, and a bottom shelf, on casters, out of 3/4" plywood and some oak 1.5" x 1.5" posts. That was maybe $100-$150.

It sounds like you really want something customized for your dimensions, made out of aluminum framing material. 80-20 has everything you need, and will cut and drill everything to your exact specifications (and even work with you on the design). But it won't be cheap (though I don't know how much it will be). There's a lab at work that was renovated and it has an elaborate, customized, overhead rack system from them.

If you have a miterbox and a hacksaw and are patient, you can cut the extrusions yourself. McMaster-Carr sells similar framing parts, fasteners, etc., but you'd have to do the design and cutting (and any drilling) yourself. Now that I check more carefully, they will cut pieces for you as well, but cut prices are by the inch.

Alternatively, you could think about getting some chrome wire shelving. Lowe's, HD, etc., can have a decent selection. I think it's better to buy things like that in the store because shipments of stuff like that from Amazon can get really beat up, and returns are a pain. You might need to get some other material to cover the horizontal wires, though, depending on the details of your application. Lots of them don't come with casters, but they often are tapped for casters and one can add them pretty easily (if that's your thing) though the thread might be weird (some are metric).

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for the pointers
Both sources (particularly McMaster-Carr) look as though they would fit the bill conceptually; both are rather dear. There’s a pre-fab solution that’s approximately what I had in mind, and within my hoped-for budget, although I’d need an additional surface on top, and the cantilever shelves don’t thrill me.

cordially,
New Understood.
It is amazing how expensive that stuff can be. :-(

Have you checked eBay?

E.g. 22U rack for $197 (38.5" of equipment mounting height)

18U rack for $106 (no casters) (31.5" of equipment mounting height).

Either of those things are likely not extremely strong (they need to be assembled), and you'd have to check carefully to see how many "cage nuts" (the captured nuts that mount in the vertical rails with the square cutouts) are included, etc., etc., but it might be a decent starting point.

The most recent small rack I bought was one of these. It was $489 in 2014. It's very strong and a beast of a thing (I mounted it on casters). But it's not what you're looking for. ;-)

Just another possible couple of options to think about.

Good luck!!

Cheers,
Scott.
     seems like the most plausible forum - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Kinda sorta. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Thanks for the pointers - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Understood. - (Another Scott)
         Try here - (crazy) - (2)
             Ah! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Yeah, I love old racks, amazingly useful - (crazy)
         dunno if they have flee markets waay east of you - (boxley)
         I am tempted to behave unethically - (rcareaga) - (7)
             Allow a suitable amount of time to pass - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 I had the same thing happen with a pair of bicycle rims a few years back. - (CRConrad)
             I believe that falls under the unsolicited rule, wait for a bit to see if they ask for them back -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 This. It's not your fault that they made a mistake in your favor. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     That approximately mirrors my thinking - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Luck!! -NT - (Another Scott)
             Nothing unethical about it - (crazy)
         Settling in, and... - (rcareaga) - (1)
             I've become a big fan of velcro cable ties. - (Another Scott)

The recommended age to have a Ouija board is 8+ years. So you have to be 21 to drink alcohol but only 8 to summon the devil.
50 ms