IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: We're doing it.
The only parts of it that really appealed to me (I'm not all that familiar with it) were the unit testing (aren't we supposed to do that anyway?) and the idea of keeping the ultimate users in the loop helping with the design. I just do data-intensive research type stuff and always tell the requester that they'll need to devote a good chunk of time to trying preliminary versions with dummy data and such to make sure it's what they want.

I'm not sure about formulating all of the tests beforehand though, unless you're the one using it eventually and know just about everything you're going to be doing with it.
New Re: We're doing it.
I'm not sure about formulating all of the tests beforehand though, ...
Yuck. I would hate to write all the tests beforehand.

Fortunately, that's not what we do. We write one test. And then write just enough code to make that one test work. Then we write another test, and write just enough code to make that second test work. Continue until complete.

I know, it sounds weird. Its hard to visualize unless you see it in action. I've been doing the test-first thing now for several years now and it has really helped me to write solid code. I highly recommend the process.

There are some good walk-throughs using test-first design on the web. I'll see if I can find one and post the URL here.
--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net [link|http://w3.one.net/~jweirich|http://w3.one.net/~jweirich]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
     "Extreme Programming" - (acagle) - (10)
         Re: "Extreme Programming" - (Arkadiy)
         Its like teen sex - (tuberculosis) - (8)
             Hmm, wonder which class you'd put me in - (drewk) - (2)
                 Re: Hmm, wonder which class you'd put me in - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Or, even - (wharris2)
             We're doing it. - (JimWeirich) - (3)
                 Cool - (tuberculosis)
                 Re: We're doing it. - (acagle) - (1)
                     Re: We're doing it. - (JimWeirich)
             OT: client/server - (Meerkat)

Sentinels and abdominal tracking shrimp.
71 ms