IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DB design answers:
1) No, since the values won't be unique, you can't have a unique key. You can have an index (or several) to help with the sorting.

2) Dunno, never used that.

3) This isn't a one-to-many or a many-to-one relationship either way, is it... You can have the same people in several incidents? And several people in the same incident? Yup, for many-to-many relationships you need a "junction" table, like "people_and_incidents". Two columns, "person_id" and "incident_id", foreign keys to the (primary-key) ID columns of those tables.

1) Nope. At least, not unless you put a default value ("N/A" or something, whatever) in the "Unit" field. But then it's of course not really optional anymore.

But, above all: The main thing you need to do is put an integer ID field -- autoincrement, sequence, whatever it's called in your (R?)DBMS -- in pretty much every table. That's your primary key, and what you refer to as a foreign key from other tables.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New I should have mentioned in the request, this was for an event 7/21 - 7/23
So I appreciate the reply but yeah, it's already done. :)
--

Drew
New Ah. On vacation, been kind'a offline for a week or so.
     DB design questions - (drook) - (9)
         No answers, but... - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
             This, plus... - (scoenye) - (4)
                 Ah, I tried it as the primary. - (drook) - (3)
                     Fifth/5th... - (Another Scott)
                     Dont forget jr, sr, III, etc living at same home - (crazy) - (1)
                         I need to be less ambitious - (drook)
         DB design answers: - (CRConrad) - (2)
             I should have mentioned in the request, this was for an event 7/21 - 7/23 - (drook) - (1)
                 Ah. On vacation, been kind'a offline for a week or so. -NT - (CRConrad)

You wouldn't know what normal was if it rode into town on the normal express, kicked down your door with its size normal boots, danced into your living room wearing nothing but the word "normal" and sang "normality is here again" on your dining room table whilst dancing the foxtrot.
37 ms