IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What, just one John Wayne? :)
How about the 1960 version of The Magnificent Seven.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: What, just one John Wayne? :)
Not even the one. In compiling the list, I was consciously going for the most part outside the canon, so no Stagecoach, no Red River, no The Searchers...there were scores of other worthy titles omitted. In reproducing the list, I merely wondered whether others here might have particular favorites, or whether the genre has fallen out of favor with the hip fortysomethings.

cordially,
New And no Sergio Leone?
He did so much to revitalize the genre and served as inspiration to others. If nothing else. at least his characters looked as if they lived on the frontier instead of just having walked out of the El Paso JC Penney's. Unless you're absolutely trying to avoid Cl*nt **stw**d ;-)

I would add The good, the bad and the ugly. No clear good guys/bad guys, just varying degrees of "worse" trying to come out ahead while scores of others are dying for their own greater good. Ennio Morricone soundtrack. And the 3-way final duel, of course.

And while at it: Tombstone (1993) A retelling of the O.K. Corral story with a good bit of "Wild Bunch" mixed in. Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday runs off with this one pouring gasoline on the fires the Earps are trying to put out. (Oh, and whiskers that would make a walrus proud. None of that '50's clean shave stuff...)
Expand Edited by scoenye July 24, 2017, 08:26:38 PM EDT
New And the most back-story ever packed into two words
--

Drew
     ode to oaters - (rcareaga) - (7)
         What, just one John Wayne? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Re: What, just one John Wayne? :) - (rcareaga)
             And no Sergio Leone? - (scoenye) - (1)
                 And the most back-story ever packed into two words - (drook)
         no "going South" spags, "suppoirt your local sherrif" or "blazing saddles"? -NT - (boxley)
         How about a musical? Paint Your Wagon. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         That's a great list. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

Spend a year in the army of a Nordic country, and you learn all there is to know about drying socks.
49 ms