IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Creationism in ... ... Europe?!
Via CRC-post today in Politics, this germane book-title, Creationism in Europe appeared in a comment within his link.

While I’m pretty sure I won’t cough up four Alexander Hamiltons (+ ship) in order to immerse in such a wretched hugely depressing chronicle,
what cannot be evaded is the (author-claimed-) Fact of headway being garnered in such erstwhile sorta-Civil-ized precincts

{{sob}} Et tu? Brute-descendants ??

..then Fall, Cæsar into the gathering morass of vacated jelloware,
evidently now on the fucking-^ascent^
..as the moribund Enlightenment-Era recedes —> into ..a next dimly-lit Ancient-past (featured in obscure Historians-only: 3-Unit courses taught in the shells of former Universities.)

(Chicken LIttle thought that only The Sky is Falling,) the Silly..
New Your error . . .
. . is in presuming Europeans are smarter than Americans. Remember - that's where Americans came from.
New Heh
Talking in the general sense, we're barely religious - not even one in sixty people attends church regularly. So the notion of this line of reasoning presenting some kind of societal threat is quite amusing.

Of course there are some Muslims and Christians and Hindus and Sikhs and whatnot; and I'm sure I saw a Plymouth Brethren family wandering around the supermarket the other week, but by comparison with the US, there's basically no religion at all in daily life. Literally no-one at work even cares enough about your imaginary friend to ask about it. I talk about Ramadan to my muslim co-workers, but that ends up being about the tasty food they eat in the evening, rather than the ins and outs of supernatural omniscient yet oddly absent beings that somehow require our reverance.

I travel up and down this sceptred isle, and it's the same everywhere.
New And up here in the real north, we're even more atheist.
Yeah, chicks all wanna get married in church, but that's mainly for tradition(*) and Mendelssohn and being the Virgin Mary for one last day. Pretty much the only reason for a bloke to go through confirmation; the main reason why I went along with having my sprog baptised.

Sure, there are of course Laestadians and Seventh-day Adventists and Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses and various Pentecostals and Muslims and probably some Jews and apparently even quite a few ordinary Church of Finland (Sweden, Denmark, Norway) "Christians" who actually believe in all that stuff the Church is supposed to be about... But most of them, you don't know it from looking at them, and there aren't that many to begin with.

Here's how to spot religious people in Sweden and Finland: Witnesses you recognise when they come knocking at your door and politely ask if you want some leaflets, or maybe even talk about God and Jesus and salvation. When you decline, they politely take their leave. (Hm, come to think of it, there also used to be a couple distributing leaflets at the central Metro station below Railway Square, but I haven't seen those for a few years now.) Mormons show up on he street or in public transportation every other year or so, a couple clean-shaven and well-behaved young American men -- new ones every time -- far too young for their title of "elder". The Laestadians are recognisable mainly by the minibuses -- a class larger than minivans -- they have to drive in order for all their eight or ten children to fit in, but most of them live in Ostrobothnia, so you don't see them all that often. The Muslims are often recognisable by their dress, mostly the shawls or veils or burqas or niqabs they make their women wear, more rarely the baggy pyjama pants of the men. That's about it, because the pentecostals don't speak in tongues outside their churches; the Jews don't wear their kippas outside the synagogue (and I'm not about to ask people to drop trou to check if they belong to either of the Levant faiths); and nobody, but nobody, would be so uncouth as to talk about faith in public.

But when you talk to people in private, you notice that's usually -- i.e, almost always -- because they're just like you: They have no faith to speak of. (Some of them, usually women, claim to vaguely "believe", usually "not in an old guy with a white beard up in the clouds but, you know, in, like something".)

Nobody ever goes to church, except for weddings and possibly Christmas.

---
(*): Also, being crap at their own history and having seen too many Yank movies, many of them are fucking up Nordic tradition by wanting to be "given away" by their fathers, which was never the way it was done in Scandalahoovia: Here, a free woman and a free man have walked into church side by side since the time of the Vikings, to get their knot hitched as equal partners.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New When you wrote about what women believe, I heard it in valley girl voice
--

Drew
New Well done! That's the voice that kind of person (man or woman) thinks in.
New And yet, there is still the Church of England.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New And?
Even the not-quite-one-in-sixty people who actually bothers going regularly aren't all that bothered about god. The CoE is there mainly to make sure the queen isn't a catlick, not that anyone actually cares about that.

Northern Europe in the 21stC really doesn't give much of a crap about religion, to a degree that is probably mind-bending to a lot of the world.

Also, don't be fooled by NI and Scotland; their so-called "sectarian" issues are merely a cypher for deeper tribal issues. It might have been about worshipping the wrong flavour of god once, but not really these days.
New About that
Isn't "worshipping the wrong flavour of god" always really a tribal issue?
--

Drew
New Ah, the queen. YAN vestige of a (happily) bygone era.
I've no knowledge of religious practices in the UK and would not declare otherwise. I only brought up the CoE because if organized worship of the invisible man is generally held in the low regard you state, it appears incongruent that an Official State Religion persists.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New On the contrary, perhaps: If anybody cared, they might need to get rid of it?
New Now don't be a grouch. I have it on the Highest authority that,
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
but she doesn't have a lot to say.

What's not to like in a self-effacing Dudess?
(OK..so she has a Corgi fetish ... but she ain't no Granny-starver. (We gots millions.))
New Grateful to hear that bolt-holes persist in your areas,
territories I have, at least visited. It seems that your locals comprehend their minuscule influence--an Important difference from the dis-US--that from 'minuscule', the odds of their ever regaining sway against all You Heathens: aren't worth a mention. Still, I gather that your school admins will be fending off 'creation-science' for the foreseeable, despite a majority display of quite more backbone than USians have ever shown.

'Course though, you're all a missile-flight from the consternation ignited by the despicable Cheney Shogunate in '03 and next by the--Desert-religions alert!--about-to-be Techno-equipped Wahabs (surely the nastiest flavor within the bestiary of Islam. save ISIS.) Meanwhile the Murican Taliban minorities elide their small %-pop via successful use of Loudness, confirming our status as: most-easily-manipulated by marauding ants. (Gullible is too soft a word: Ludicrous is available.)

[Note to self: move Passport renewal up 3-notches.]
Premeditated chaos/noise seems the M.O. to maintain the illusion that our Nutters are a phalanx. It may work (as P.T. Barnum is our judge.)
¿Quien sabe? maybe a Yank who shows up in some bucolic spot, asking ~ Any cats around here needing a rescue? might pass the sniff-test, mayhap allowed to use the primo-darts at teh watering hole.

(I could bear lots of cultural/shift, with a *Colliery band around occasionally to ameliorate the legendary ☂ enviro..)

* Dunno if Canada maintains that worthy tradition; time to check in.
;^>
     Creationism in ... ... Europe?! - (Ashton) - (12)
         Your error . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Heh - (pwhysall) - (9)
             And up here in the real north, we're even more atheist. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 When you wrote about what women believe, I heard it in valley girl voice -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Well done! That's the voice that kind of person (man or woman) thinks in. -NT - (CRConrad)
             And yet, there is still the Church of England. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 And? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     About that - (drook)
                     Ah, the queen. YAN vestige of a (happily) bygone era. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         On the contrary, perhaps: If anybody cared, they might need to get rid of it? -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Now don't be a grouch. I have it on the Highest authority that, - (Ashton)
         Grateful to hear that bolt-holes persist in your areas, - (Ashton)

The cancers of the tank come!
85 ms