IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Two ArcaOS machines moved to production stations.
Ancient RHINO (development) and BISON (business / server) have been replaced by SERPENT1 and YAK1. Both are Intel i3 based, with ArcaOS running 64-bit and using all 4 cores. SATA (to 2-T) and USB are fully working.

Transfer from the old machines was easier than with Windows, because many programs could just be copied rather than installed from original media. It all looks like a cross between OS/2 and Linux, which is exactly what it is.

The main problem was getting DOS windows to work - full screen worked fine, but windows not at all. Turned out it was incompatibility with the Intel on-board video. Adding a video card fixed it.

The secondary problem is printing from Firefox 38.8.0, which uses CUPS. Unfortunately, CUPS didn't come with a PS driver for Color LaserJet 8500, just PCL3 drivers. This is being worked on. I use the Color LaserJet driver for printing to my Xerox 8570 hot wax printer.
New Woot! But, surprised DOS window would be a problem.
It seems to me that you can lie to an app about the available screen size.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Much worse than that.
When I loaded a DOS window, the characters of the C:> prompt would take one second each to appear, and they'd overwrite each other. Input from the keyboard appeared similarly slowly, unless the program used its own keyboard interface (Turbo Pascal, for instance).

With the nVidia cards, there are still some very minor problems, but livable. They say AMD Radeon boards are better, so I have two cheap ones on order. My usage doesn't require $479 video boards, $47 boards are overkill.

They say the problem with the Intel on-board video is being addressed, but it may take some time, because it's really weird. It's the Intel / Microsoft approach - make it so weird and disorganized nobody can figure it out.
New Once agin that sickening Intel / Microsoft "innovation".
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Two ArcaOS machines moved to production stations. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Woot! But, surprised DOS window would be a problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Much worse than that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Once agin that sickening Intel / Microsoft "innovation". -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Well, yes and no.
42 ms